Please help decide: Ipad 64 GB vs Ipad 2 16 GB?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonrobinson, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jonrobinson macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone in advance for your reply!

I am looking at WIFI only Ipads for Father's day.
    I am trying to decide between the Ipad 2 16GB WIFI for $499 or the Ipad original 64GB WIFI for $529.

My use for this device will be for different photography related apps and work.

I do not have a very large music library.

I will be storing tech docs for work (PDF files), ocassional movie, etc.

I have never used an Ipad so I have no frame of reference.

I guess it comes down to speed vs storage.

Please give your suggestion!

Thanks!

Jonrobinson

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Well, if the amount of storage is not a limiting factor, wouldn't the iPad 2 be the obvious choice given it has more ram.

Given the iOS is about to be updated the IP2 will likely be a bit smoother on it. esp with web page loading etc and graphic intense apps.

Also as features are added with further iOS updates the original iPad will be left behind sooner that than the new version. (wireless mirroring is already iPad 2 only in iOS5)

With technology it almost always pays to buy the most uptodate version, if you can afford it.

I'd only recommend an iPad 1 if some-one was getting it secondhand or on special and were prepared to accept it's upcoming limitations.

3. Phil-82 macrumors member

in short, get the ipad 2. in time more apps (maybe photography apps) will be exclusively ipad2. there are also many ways you can get additional external storage like that wifi ext hdrive

4. shady28 macrumors member

iPad 2.

16 GB is a lot if you don't plan to store movies or video.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'd say the iPad 2. The iPad 1 will not be able to use all the iOS 5 feature. Plus Apple might release a photo app like iPhoto or Aperture for iPad, I'm sure it will only support iPad 2 or even the iPad 3.

You will love the iPad 2.

By the way, is for your Dad or yourself?

6. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I vote iPad 2. I have 2000 photos on my iPad 2, a coupe movies and tons of documents and PDFs and I am still under 16GB. Kinda regretting that I bought the 32GB model.

Plus, as henry72 said, the iPad 2 will receive more new features in the future than the iPad 1.

7. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

$499 vs $529? Hmmmmm. With an iPad, you can't add memory after the fact, so the 64gb might be the safer bet. With iOS5 iCloud coming and Home Sharing available now you don't really need to have media content on the device itself, so maybe the lighter and newer iPad2 would be more up-to-date and future-proof. The cheap cameras may come in handy eventaully.

Personally, I'd say go have a look at the $399 Asus Transformer. I've got both and will pick up my Transformer first these days. Same screen technology (IPS), a 16:10 screen ratio (better for movies), and expandible memory just to start. I get the same battery life out of both. Have more to spend? Get the $150 keyboard dock for it with 2 USB ports, a, SD slot, and a battery to double the tablet's charge life. No, it's not an Apple product. If that matters then good luck with your iPad, whichever one you decide on.

8. jonrobinson thread starter macrumors newbie

For me

The Ipad is for me.

Thanks all for the replies!

Jonathan

9. FAsnakes macrumors regular

IMO, I'd go with the latest - technology / features..
    Just manage your storage usage.

10. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yeah, I would stick with a 16 GB iPad 2.

You can always use a service like Dropbox to access your documents, photos and more. You can store 2 GB of data for free.

I have the 32 GB iPad and have 16+ GB left on it at any given time. I keep a few movies (SD), lots of CD's, few episodes of Futurama (HD), 2 most recent episodes of 7 video podcasts and 30 some apps. Plus like 300 photos.

As long as you don't need your whole media library accessible at all times I am sure you will be fine with a 16 GB iPad 2.