Please Help! (deciding MBP specs)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by schmidt190, May 9, 2008.

1. schmidt190 macrumors member

i am going to be a freshman in college this september and i am in the market for a MBP.
    some issues i have are these

should i get the 15" or 17"? what are the pro's - con's?

is the high def screen worth it?

should i get the glossy or matte screen? i hate glare, but i watch movies often! i also do video editing.

im waiting until july to buy it. are there usually sales that go on in the summer?

also whats the best carrying case for a 15" or 17"?

thanks for all the advice!

2. MacManiac777 macrumors member

I suggest the 15" as the 17" may be a bit of a hassle to carry around all day.

Also I would suggest the Matte screen, since it is always hard to tell where you are going to sit yourself down to work on your laptop so glare may be a problem if you got a glossy screen.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

go for it 17 inch screen matte... definitely worth it... bought one for my boss to use a month ago. he loves it... one con i can say is that it is a very heavy machine to carry around..

4. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Obviously expect lots of different answers here!

Definitely don't get the 17", it'll be way too big to bring around and fit on those small desks...

In terms of matte vs. glossy, matte is easier on the eyes after long periods of work and has no glare. The way I see it is you can hate glossy, but nobody really hates matte. If you're not sure, try it out, and if you're still not sure, just get matte to be safe.

Soon enough Apple will unleash its back to school sale, where you will get a free iPod after mail in rebate (plus the usual free printer + edu. discount) so be patient.

5. schmidt190 thread starter macrumors member

woah! just so i understand correctly, you get a free ipod (after mail in rebate) AND a free printer AND you can use your education discount???

that seems like a pretty sweet deal.
    also i was wondering, what is the point of having the 17"? just for kicks about having a bigger screen??

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

umm... why you get a bigger screen? For a bigger screen obviously :rolleyes:

But in this case you also get an extra USB port.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Yup.

Right now you just get a free printer via mail in rebate I believe.
    Edu. discount is available all year. Just need to show them your ID card or acceptance letter at the store.

Soon (very soon actually) Apple will start the promotion. When you buy the computer, you buy any iPod you want, and then you fill in the paper work (long and annoying but very important) and a few weeks later you'll get a check in the mail for $229. (That was last year). I'm pretty sure it got me a 4 GB nano but i could be wrong. I ended up selling the nano for $180. All you have to pay for is the tax. If you want a more expensive iPod, you just pay the difference i.e. you pay for the iPod up front but then you get $229 back. Pretty nice deal! So if you're looking to buy, just wait a little bit. I think it came in June last year.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you're getting a 17" MacBook I reckon you'd be mad not to pony up the little bit extra for the HD LED display. It's gorgeous.

The 15" is marginally easier to carry though.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

MacBook Pro, is what you meant?

10. MoeOz macrumors member

MBP SR Merom 2.4 15" {Refurb} is what u need trust me ;)

11. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same position as you, I think I have decided on the 15 inch for sure, the 17 is just to heavy to have in a backpack and to lug around. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the matte screen also, not 100% decided yet:rolleyes:
    Now what i'm really stuck on is, is it really worth the extra money for a 2.6 compared to a 2.5?......ahhhh the decisions in life:D

12. schmidt190 thread starter macrumors member

yeah im thinkin on the 15"

but most def get the 2.6 because the 2.5 is slower than the old MBP (not by much, but still)