Please help deciding new carrier!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caffeino, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Caffeino, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Caffeino macrumors member

Hi everyone!

My contract with AT&T is due and I'm having a hard time deciding between AT&T or switch carriers

I need at least 5gb data a month
    International calling and if possible hotspot for my laptop.

Thanks in advance

2. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

Aio has unlimited data with 7 GB high speed for $70.

3. Caffeino thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to mention my location
    Chicago ill.
    Is Aio available in chicago?

4. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

Aio is available anywhere, order at aiowireless.com. I'm getting my Aio SIM card tomorrow.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tmobile is a good and affordable choice also.

6. Akack, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Akack macrumors 6502a

Not sure if you can hotspot using AIO wireless and max DL speeds are 8 Mbps, which should be fine for majority of your usages.

I use TMobile personally and have great coverage in 95% of the places I visit. Since they have no contract you can "test drive" their network for a month and see how it works for you. For $ 70 you get true unlimited with no data throttling, and 2.5 GB of hotspot.

You can add additional hotspot as well: $ 10 extra for 4.5 gb total hotspot, $ 20 extra for 6.5 gb total hotspot.

Again, TMobile does not have nearly as comprehensive of coverage compared to ATT/Verizon so defn test out their network first. Unfortunately TMobile may not be a good carrier for some.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Aio does NOT offer hotspot service, so you might be in trouble there. But you could just buy your phone from the provider you want and then find another hotspot solution. Verizon has the MyFi box. With the savings you get between AT&T vs. Aio, you could afford a MyFi.

I went with AT&T again from Verizon. Verizon was fine, even though the 3G speed stunk. AT&T has made big improvements around here, and its LTE is F-A-S-T. But the clincher was getting on a Mobile Share plan with my parents, which means we can share 4GB of data (which pretty much means I get 3GB), get unlimited text and voice, and get to use our phones as hot spots at no extra charge.

8. tvotony macrumors regular

9. mazer75 macrumors newbie

How is T Mobile LTE in southern California? I'm on Verizon now, but sometimes I want to switch to another carrier...

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can just stay with AT&T.

You'll get the hotspot and use Google Voice for international calling.

11. Caffeino thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like a good choice! Thanks!

----------

Of course not! Especially in chicago

12. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

pretty sure you can't use google voice for international calling. Only local.

13. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

It really depends on the data coverage. All 4 carriers will usually provide you with an acceptable signal for calls/texts in most parts of the country, but the same can't be said for data. I've actually settled on an interesting setup that involves keeping my iPhone with T-Mobile at $42/mo ($50 base plan - 15% corporate discount) plus a Verizon MiFi at 4GB for $70/mo (I actually have 2 MiFi's on the share everything data-only plan). If I were to move my iPhone to Verizon, I'd be spending at least $30 more per month. Obviously this isn't practical for most people, but I utilize my devices for work purposes, so I'm willing to compromise a bit.

14. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

TMobile prepaid: $30/month, 100 minutes, 5GB of 4G/LTE, unlimited text. I was originally on the Unlimited Uncarrier plan but decided to switch to prepaid yesterday.

I hardly talk on the phone, mainly emergencies or quick conversations, and I doubt I'll be using anything over 100 minutes a month.

When, I was in Chicago for the summer (mainly the suburbs) coverage was great with T-Mobile. Coverage was kinda iffy downtown though but otherwise okay.

15. predation macrumors 6502

for me: T-mobile.
    Simple choice 3 lines

1st line: $50 (voice text) +$20 (Unlimited data) + 2.5gb tethering
    2nd line: $30 (voice text) + $10 (2.5 gb data) + 2.5gb tethering
    3rd line: $10 (voice text) +$0 (500mb data) + 500mb tethering

total: $120.00 + (6% tax) - my 12% discount = $112.00 /3 = $37.33 per line.

16. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

How do I get this plan? I went to TMobile site but could not find instructions on how to buy the prepaid plan?

17. Akack macrumors 6502a

With the $30 prepaid is tethering included in the 5gb of high speed data?

18. PsstGreek, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have to go to walmart and buy a $30 card (activation code), then either call up or chat with T-Mobile and have them switch over your current plan to prepaid.

I believe it is.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

You have to pay $15 extra to tether with the $30 5Gb plan.

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Unless you and the OP live in the same area this is a pretty bold statement. I switched from AT&T to Sprint, live in Chicago, and it's been pretty cool for the most part. Do I miss AT&T at times, sure, but I love having unlimited data as well. It's a trade off.

21. Rick America macrumors member

If you travel internationally (from the US), my advice would be to stay with AT&T. Most other US based carriers are horrible outside the US --- Verizon being the worst...more a function of who their local carriers are I would suspect. I spend well over half my time traveling outside the US (Europe, Asia, Japan, Africa, South America). I had AT&T for several years and was forced by my company to switch to Verizon 2 years ago. Where with AT&T the service was "transparent" wherever I went globally, with Verizon I experience a succession of dropped calls, limited to no data service, etc. Also, Verizon's inability to handle cellular and data at the same time is a pain.

22. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Where are you mostly spending your time (country)?

23. alent1234 macrumors 603

stay with AT&T and just buy unlocked phones

my iphone 5 is AT&T and my galaxy s3 is verizon. the quality of service is 99% identical in NYC.

24. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I just recently went from AT&T to Aio and I enjoy it. The only downside is the no tethering, but you can't beat the price and coverage (at least in Austin, TX).

25. m1key macrumors member

I switched to T-Mo from Sprint. Saving a couple bucks extra a month and getting unlimited everything (voice, texts, data(+2.5 gb for tethering only)). You will be saving a good amount of money coming from AT&T. Keep in mind even if you have good T-Mobile coverage in your area, you still won't get as good coverage overall compared to AT&T if you are travling to lots of different places. T-Mobile is an amazing deal ONLY if you get good service in your area. Otherwise, it might be better to stick with AT&T. I have no probs with T-Mobile in my area as you can see:

[​IMG]