Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coolmonster245

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Ok, so here's the deal. I get music from Itunes, and when I do that music goes to the Itunes library. Now when I change the cover flow of that album, there seems to be 2 files instead of one. This also happens when I download music. Can somebody please help? There are too many duplicates on my Mac I want to get rid of TONIGHT!

Coolmonster245

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
No they are in the Finder. One file in Itunes Library and two files for each song in Finder

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No they are in the Finder. One file in Itunes Library and two files for each song in Finder
That's because you have these checked in iTunes > Preferences:
iTunes checkboxes.PNG

Coolmonster245

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
So, what happens if I uncheck them? And are they duplicate files? Sorry, I'm new to this...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, what happens if I uncheck them? And are they duplicate files? Sorry, I'm new to this...
With those checked, when you add a file to iTunes, it makes a copy of the file, so now you have two: one in the original location, and a 2nd one that iTunes stores in the iTunes Media folder. If you uncheck them, you can simply keep your music in the iTunes Media folder, in any organization you choose.

Alternatively, you can leave them checked and just delete the original files, after iTunes makes a copy when you add to the library.

Coolmonster245

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Ok so let me get this clear before I go-they are NOT duplicate files? And how do I delete the original files? Lastly, should I leave them checked or un-checked? In your opinion...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok so let me get this clear before I go-they are NOT duplicate files? And how do I delete the original files?
Yes, they are duplicate files. You select them in Finder and delete them, like any other file. Just verify which folder is your iTunes Media folder location in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and don't delete files in that folder.

Coolmonster245

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Oh, that was what I was doing the whole time- because it kept saying the original file could not be found. And how do I find them in the finder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.