Please Help: Everything is crashing.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fenixx, Jul 19, 2007.

1. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

Well, I'm experiencing something very odd.

Everything is crashing, not one isolated program, most of my programs will randomly crash, if they even open at all. It occurs about 2-5 minutes into Safari [sometimes it doesn't happen at all]. Safari also has odd glitches that blank out the entire white screen.

My Adobe programs I use for work [Photoshop, Ills] won't open at all. Quicksilver is randomly crashing.

I don't know what this is or what happened.

I've repaired permissions, and reset PRAM and nothing has happened. I've also logged out and logged in under another account and the other account works fine with no noticeable glitches.

Any ideas?
    I'm currently in the process of removing some third party apps, I just don't know what it could be.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

So, nothing seems to be wrong with the HD, or permissions or other hardware.
    There is "something" in your Home directory which causes the issues, as you have found out by very wisely creating the new account and noticing no problems there.
    I would start by removing my ~/Library/Preferences/ folder to your desktop, logout and login again to see if that helps.
    Of not, you can put your Prefs-dir back to its original location, and remove ~/Library/Application Support/ to your desktop....etc.

Maybe in your user account you have a login-item which is causing the issues too?
    Go into the System Prefs - Accounts - Login Items, to see if something malicious is in there....

So many possibilities.... But at least you know it is something related to your own account.

Good luck.

3. fenixx thread starter macrumors regular

fenixx

Thanks MacsRgr8; for the speedy reply and tips.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

When I have problems with apps crashing, I deleted the Finders prefs file, rebooted, and things seem to have settled down.

-Kevin