[Please Help] First Time Upgrading

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Rockoar, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Hello there! I bought my MPB 13’’ last year and it shipped with Lion but the guy at the Apple Store download Mountain Lion for me and guided me through the installation. Now I want to upgrade to Mavericks but I’m not certain of how to do a clean install and yet be able to restore all my files and applications so I’m coming here to you to see if you guys could help me understand the process.

I already downloaded the OS X 10.9 installer and had already prepared the USB installer with it. I have a full backup of my Mac with TimeMachine. Now, once I had done the clean install, will I be able to import everything (files, folders, apps, etc.) using that TimeMachine backup? Would I need to re-download and re-install every single application? I had both Mac App Store bought and internet bough applications.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A clean install by definition means a manual reinstall of all apps and manually putting all your settings back like they were. Depending on how many apps you have and the amount of configuration you have done, it can take many many hours to get this done.

No offense to you... but this is kind of one of those things that if you have to ask how to do all this, you may be better off just not doing it.

Why do you want to do a clean install? If your machine is working okay now just go ahead and install Mavs over top of the existing install and everything should be just fine.

3. Rockoar thread starter macrumors regular

Rockoar

I’m just asking because this is the very first time I own a Mac. I thought it was better to do a clean install rather than just install it over the existent OS X.

If I install it on top of ML, is there gonna be any change to my current configuration/setup?

4. Jelite macrumors 6502a

No everything will be the same, i installed Mavericks over a broken ML (something went wrong during the 10.8.3 update) were i kept getting lock-ups and now everything is running fine, proving somewhat that updating does remove/fix the previous OS.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Update is probably your best bet--everything should be as it was except now you will be running Mavericks.

6. Rockoar thread starter macrumors regular

Rockoar