Please help, HD4870 causing MAC to keep chiming

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Adrianlee, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Adrianlee macrumors newbie

Please kindly help..

I was trying to flash my video card but when i tried re-booting all my MacPro does is that it keeps chiming every few seconds and won't bootup..

Video card :
    ATI RADEON HD 4870 512M GDDR5 PCI-E DUAL DVI-I/TVO
    PN 288-2E131-000SA
    SKU# 11133-20-42R

MAC PRO :
    MAC OSX 10.6.4
    2 X 2 GHZ DUAL-CORE INTEL XEON
    4 GIG RAM

things that I tried...

Option - command - P - R :(

Boot it with my uncle's PC running on Win 7, My card doesn't even showed up with I use GPUZ or Atiflash.. :(

create a partition using FAT and used Freedos to bootup, tried Atiflash, it still doesn't show up when i use the -i option :(

bootup using bootcamp Win7 on my MAC, it showed unknown device .. :confused:

yesterday, I finally managed to get GPUZ to show HD4870 but, its not detectable by winflash and when I rebooted it, the same chiming starts again >.<"

Any ideas what I should do next ?? >.<"

2. jeanlain macrumors 65816

You flashed the card with an inadequate firmware. The only way to get your card back is to re-flash it in a PC with its original BIOS. I'm surprised the card isn't detected by ATIflash -i in the PC. There might be some BIOS options to set.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Out of curiosity, why exactly were you trying to flash the rom? And where exactly did you get the new rom file from that you were trying to use?

4. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Motulist, I got myself a PC version of the HD4870 and tried to flash it :p

Following the instructions from here..

http://boeglin.org/blog/index.php?entry=entry090918-031702

5. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Bios option like ??

6. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

7. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Like those you get when you hold F2 or F8 (or is that F12, I can't remember). Maybe the right key is indicated on the boot screen. Then you can set some PCIe options, such as the slots that should be initialized first.
    But I'm not sure I would change. ATIflash should see the radeon regardless. Have you connected both PCIe power cables?

8. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Jeanlain,

when i connect both cables to the card and then shut down my Mac Pro, on the next boot up it will chime every few seconds and there will be a black screen ..

So what i did is that i wait till after the first chime and then i plug in the plugs..

9. jeanlain macrumors 65816

I meant when you put the card in a PC.
    Don't bother trying to boot your Mac Pro with this card. You need to flash it in a PC first.

10. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try to flash it using my uncle's PC

he has a HD 5870 in his PC in his first PCIe slot .. and my HD4870 in the second PCIe slot.

GPUz could detect his HD5870 but not mine.

ATIFlash using FreeDOS bootup CD could not detect both our cards.

11. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Something is very wrong here. I never heard of ATIflash failing to detect radeon cards, especially if one powers the display. Be sure to use the latest ATIflash and to enter the right command. Does ATIflash work at all (simply type "atiflash.exe")?
    Of course, all PCIe connectors must be plugged. That requires a lot of power.

12. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I did try the option of typing ATIFLASH.EXE .. but .. doesn't work ..

and both of the cables were plugged..

what i could not understand is that it did not sense the HD5870 .. :confused:

does atiflash work with NTFS system ??

13. jeanlain macrumors 65816

You may need a FAT volume. That could be a bootable DOS floppy where you put ATIflash, or perhaps a USB stick if you can't add a new partition to your HD. But I'm not sure DOS has the necessary drivers for USB access.
    Anyway, try to access the ATiflash directory via the "cd" command. Type "dir" to check you're in to right folder, and then "atiflash -i". That should list all the radeon cards.

14. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I am getting someone else who has DOS running in FAT32.. hopefully it will work >.<"

15. Adrianlee thread starter macrumors newbie

sob .. can't repair.. now have to wait for another 4-6 weeks before i can see the card cause they are sending it back to Taiwan for ex-change >.<"