***PLEASE!!! Help*** How can I copy "different files" from external HDD to iMac HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apple!Fre@k, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

OK, so I did something kind of stupid while on vacation last week. Whenever I travel I take my external HDD with me, which is a clone of my iMac's HDD. Only, for the time I forgot it was a clone and somehow had the idea that it was my actual hard drive and plugged it into my MacBook Air and began adding files and folders to it while I was away.

Problem is, SuperDuper! is only setup to smart update my cloned external HDD with whatever is on my iMac, not the other way around. So if I do a backup, then all the changes I made to my cloned external HDD while on vacation get erased and replaced with exactly what's on my iMac HDD.

Is there any way to just copy whatever is different between the external HDD and my iMac HDD to the iMac HDD? Or at the very least, is there a log for the external HDD to show what files I added/changed/deleted while I was on vacation so I can replicate the same changes on my iMac's HDD?

If not, I'm royally screwed because I spent many hours adding files and folders to my cloned external HDD while away and I have no way of remembering all of the changes I made.

PLEASE!!!!! help.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Sounds like you just need to clone in the opposite direction.

3. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Problem is that I've made changes to my iMac HDD already. So my iMac HDD and external HDD that backs up my iMac HDD are different, both with new data, and I need to find some way to copy over just what's different from my external HDD to my iMac HDD, or "merge" the data.

Is there any way to do this???