PLEASE HELP! How do I restore my iPhoto window/program?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lester456, Dec 22, 2008.

1. lester456 macrumors newbie

lease help!!!!!!!!! I'm relatively new to Mac and am desperate. How do I restore my iPhoto window? I was using this program, left the computer for a short while, and some family member did something I can't resolve. I know iPhoto is still running because if I right click the mac mouse, it exposes all open programs/windows including iPhoto. If i click on the exposed iPhoto window, it dissappears again but I don't know how to bring it back into the screen so I can operate/use the program. I almost get the impression someone dragged it off the screen, if that's possible. it's not minimized because left clicking on the iPhoto icon at the bottom of the screen does not bring the prgoram back into a workable view. Any help is great appreciated!!!!!!!

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Have you tried quitting the application and then opening it back up again?

Right-click on the iPhoto icon in the dock and click "Quit".

3. lester456 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The simplest way to fix this is to move/delete iPhoto's preferences file, which stores, among other things, the last used window position. It can be found in Users -> username -> Library -> Preferences and is called com.apple.iPhoto.plist. Make sure you do this while iPhoto isn't running, then open iPhoto again.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You could also use Exposé to find it. It depends on what Mac you have, but there is a function key that shows all open windows.

6. lester456 thread starter macrumors newbie

i know this is a dumb question, but where do i find the "user" setting you reference

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

When I say Users -> username I mean your home folder - the one with the house on it, in the sidebar of Finder windows. Start there, then go into Library, then Preferences. Look for a file called com.apple.iPhoto.plist and move it elsewhere. Relaunch iPhoto. If it works now, you can delete the old file.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Go to Macintosh HD, then you will see the Users folder.

9. lester456 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a preferred place or folder to move it to? I tried moving it to the desktop, when i tried to launch it, a screen appeared with text only. Thank you for your help!!!!!! I apologize in advance for my lack of mac knowledge.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you get the dialog box about iPhoto not being able to find its library? This is normal - just point it to the one in your Pictures folder, inside your user folder, and all will be well again.

11. johto macrumors 6502

johto

You are not supposed to launch the preference file. You move your preference file out of the original place so its missing from the original place iphoto looks its preferences. You DONT run the preference file, you just want to delete/move it away. Iphoto will then, when launched see that the preference file is missing, so it will create a new file with default settings and hopefully your "missing window" problem will be solved. I still think this is a user error more or less. I would recommend you to read a book about using OSX.

I got this book when i switched to mac from PC's. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Leopar...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229963939&sr=8-1