Please help! I accidentally deleted my all the accounts from my iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 204467, May 19, 2012.

1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I was trying to re-install my system using the process described here and when I tried to run the command "$ rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" it said I don't have permission to run that command. I hit exit to just start up normally and now the only account available to me to log into is one listed as "Other" to which I don't know the user name and password. I don't think it exists, either.

How do I fix this? The only reason I was doing this was because I was trying to do a clean install on my computer for my neighbor and my original install disk is too scratched to use. Please help if you can!

----------

I also skipped the step "$ echo "" > /var/log/somelogfile" because I didn't know where the file was that I was going to verify. Is this bad?

I swear I'm not trolling right now.

2. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure I screwed this up royally... I'm just gonna buy a Mac Mini for my neighbor and sell this iMac for parts.

3. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

isn't the iMac better then a mini :rolls eyes:

4. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's also twice the cost and she was buying my iMac for half price since it's a year and a half old.

5. simsaladimbamba

Why sell the Mac for parts, when you could get the grey Restore DVDs from Apple for a small fee (15 to 30 USD) and completely reinstall Mac OS X?

6. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I hope you getting her a i7 processor.

7. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

The fact is your account folders are still there just that there is no user associated with them. All you gotta do is enable the root user and add the users with the same name. It'll say a folder with that username already exists and do you want to use that as the home folder. Just say sure.

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Excuse me but not if he doesn't know the password for the other user name that he his. so he won't be available to enable the root... he is pretty much out of luck. but have to do a reinstall.

9. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it's all good, the Apple store fixed everything for me. That service is actually way better than I ever expected.

And I admit I should read directions better before I try and do something like this, or else learn how to program so I understand what I'm doing here.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't even know what you're doing, why are you helping someone else with their computer problems? :confused: