Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lipglosssarcasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
I am borderline freaking out :eek:

The other day I hit my breaking point after passing many with a rude customer service person with Sprint and decided to change carriers(I've had most of the figured at&t was worth giving a shot!) I had switched to Sprint just for the HTC EVO when it came out, and have been exteremly happy with it....really have no complaints.

I figured if I was coing to go with at&t I was going to go with a iPhone. I have been pretty hard core Android but becauae my husband has another Droid and its crap I figured iPhone was a safe....maybe different but safe bet!

The phone rep when ordering my service told me the iPhone 3gs was a good deal and going with the iPhone 4 wasn't a big deal. So I ordered 2 didn't think anything of it. Till I was laying in bed that night and started to panic!!!! I started to worry about if I had just downgraded with a 2 yr old phone from my EVO :( I sat up seriously losing more sleep then I even want to admit!!

Today I went into the at&t store and figured I wanted to hold and play with the iPhone 3gs and also the iPhone 4(thinking maybe I would consider switching it out when the 3gs came) I had my EVO out and walked over to the white iPhone 4 and liked what I saw. It was different but nice...something I could live with from 1st glance :)

Then the sales woman walked over and I started to tell her my story EVO in hand and my WHOLE SITUATION got even more complicated. She looks right at me & says, "the iPhone 3gs is a huge downgrade from your phone. You aren't going to be happy. I can switch easily an iPhone user to Android but its harder the other way. iPhone is simple you are going to get bored. You can't customization with widgets or anything what you get is what you get " I stood there stunned and asked her what about the iPhone 4 and she said I would still probably be disappointed. Then she showed me the Samsung Infuse and it was BIGGER then my EVO O_O and the EVO I thought was big LOL It did have a nice screen and was very light. It looked like a pretty nice phone. She told me that I should consider switching the 3gs for the infuse?

Then I here the freaking iPhone 5 could be released within 30 days!?!?! I think I could technical return it for that. I see my options as....

*Stick with the iPhone 3gs...$49 seemed like a great deal!
*Upgrade to the iPhone 4
*Attempt to get the iPhone 5?
*Listen to the sales rep go with the Samsung Infuse

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
If you're interested in trying out the iPhone, stick with your EVO until the next iteration is released. It's bound to be very soon as the annual software upgrade is in the late stages of beta testing and Apple has a history of introducing new hardware to accompany the x.0 releases.

Personally, I've been on Android a couple of times and always end up back on iOS. I know people who refuse to use iPhones and swear by Android. It's just a matter of what's more comfortable for you.

Lipglosssarcasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
I will be completely new to Apple all together....don't even use itunes lol BUT I am willing to five it a try and am hoping to get a iMac in a few months after killing more pcs then I will even admit!

The whole thing is I am somewhat on a time clock now because I am switching carriers. I still have my EVO....using it right now ;) but once my iPhone gets here won't I be at&t 30 day return policy count down?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Well, yeah, you did downgrade to a phone that is two years old...a simple google search would have told you that. You also could have searched that the iPhone 5 is probably going to come out soon. I don't mean to insult you, of course, but you'd think before signing a two-year contract commitment you'd do at least a little bit of research.

Return the phones if you can.

By the way, you're saying $49 is a good deal? You could pay $150 more and get an iPhone 4 or pay $150 more (probably) and get the entry level iPhone 5. It's $150. You signed up for thousands of dollars worth of service.

yrrej

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
doesn't seem like anything to be freaking out about....

when the 3gs comes just return it and get the iphone 4.
- if the 5 comes out within 30 days then get the 5 instead.
- if within your 30 day window the iphone 5 is announced return your phone and wait to get the iphone 5.

simple enough!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Your AT&T clock may have actually started so you may have less than 30 days from today to make your decision since the clock starts when the device ships.

AT&T will allow you one equipment change in your first 30 days of service. So that means you could swap up to the iPhone 4 but it currently looks like the iPhone 5 will be just out of range for your timeframe.

One option is to cancel now in your first 3 days and stay with Sprint until the iPhone 5 drops. That way you will be a new customer for the iPhone 5 and get the best pricing.

Note: Last year, AT&T defined a specific grace period date last May, were if you had just purchased an iPhone, you could go to an AT&T store, order an iPhone 4 and keep using your iPhone until the new iPhone 4 arrived at the store where they would help you make the swap.

Dave

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I am borderline freaking out :eek:

The other day I hit my breaking point after passing many with a rude customer service person with Sprint and decided to change carriers(I've had most of the figured at&t was worth giving a shot!) I had switched to Sprint just for the HTC EVO when it came out, and have been exteremly happy with it....really have no complaints.

I figured if I was coing to go with at&t I was going to go with a iPhone. I have been pretty hard core Android but becauae my husband has another Droid and its crap I figured iPhone was a safe....maybe different but safe bet!

The phone rep when ordering my service told me the iPhone 3gs was a good deal and going with the iPhone 4 wasn't a big deal. So I ordered 2 didn't think anything of it. Till I was laying in bed that night and started to panic!!!! I started to worry about if I had just downgraded with a 2 yr old phone from my EVO :( I sat up seriously losing more sleep then I even want to admit!!

Today I went into the at&t store and figured I wanted to hold and play with the iPhone 3gs and also the iPhone 4(thinking maybe I would consider switching it out when the 3gs came) I had my EVO out and walked over to the white iPhone 4 and liked what I saw. It was different but nice...something I could live with from 1st glance :)

Then the sales woman walked over and I started to tell her my story EVO in hand and my WHOLE SITUATION got even more complicated. She looks right at me & says, "the iPhone 3gs is a huge downgrade from your phone. You aren't going to be happy. I can switch easily an iPhone user to Android but its harder the other way. iPhone is simple you are going to get bored. You can't customization with widgets or anything what you get is what you get " I stood there stunned and asked her what about the iPhone 4 and she said I would still probably be disappointed. Then she showed me the Samsung Infuse and it was BIGGER then my EVO O_O and the EVO I thought was big LOL It did have a nice screen and was very light. It looked like a pretty nice phone. She told me that I should consider switching the 3gs for the infuse?

Then I here the freaking iPhone 5 could be released within 30 days!?!?! I think I could technical return it for that. I see my options as....

*Stick with the iPhone 3gs...$49 seemed like a great deal!
*Upgrade to the iPhone 4
*Attempt to get the iPhone 5?
*Listen to the sales rep go with the Samsung Infuse
I say keep the 3GS until the end of the return period and return it then. That way you can get a feel of what iOS is like and if you like iOS you can get an iPhone 5.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I say keep the 3GS until the end of the return period and return it then. That way you can get a feel of what iOS is like and if you like iOS you can get an iPhone 5.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. As a personal back story, I have tried out many different versions of Froyo and Gingerbread. It was okay, but nothing that really caught my eye. But then WP7 was released and I am hooked. Although I'm liking this very much and the features coming up in Mango will be good, I still like the iPhone much better. However I feel like I may be swapping sim cards back and forth between my iPhone 5 and WP7 Mango device quite a bit :D

Lipglosssarcasm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
Well it sounds like regardless I should at least upgrade to the iPhone 4 from the 3gs. When it comes to why I didn't just Google search when the iPhone 5 comes out and wait....there wasn't any waiting. I had to either renew or cancel my service with Sprint. I needed to makeb choice soon and didn't have really any time to spare. This next few weeks are the busiest time of the year for me. I have been with pretty much every carrier over years but at&&t so I figured why not. Most people I know who have it in my area get good coverage :)
I had attemped to find the release date of the iPhone 5 but pulled up so many rumors I didnt know where to start. Anyone think its a good chance of happening before 9/18 LOL

michizzle

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
iphone!

:apple:I work for Sprint in a call center. I have had a iphone 3g for 2 yrs 3 months and am beyond excited to upgrade to hopefully iphone5!

I have had ZERO problems with my iphone! It still holds a charge all day unless I use my GPS for very long.

I LOVE my iphone, and any model seems better then any other phone because it always works, and does all the things I need it to and much much more.

As a Sprint representative, I hear problems with android day in and day out. I believe the majority of problems are user error like never power cycling equipment but I could be wrong. I guess with proper understanding of how to keep android and cdma equipment connected to the network most people will enjoy android.

Sometimes the geek in me yearns for a user interface I can customize a little bit more but all in all I love that my phone always works and the most I have had to do is soft reset or power cycle.

I also yearn for faster data speeds as AT&T is beyond slow. My co workers who have 4g equipment have their data services loaded and have completed the task at hand sometimes way before my page is finished loading!

That being said, I love apple. I don't care if I am categorized as an elitist snob, I feel I have always got what I paid for and much much more.

Now hurry up an release the next model iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.