PLEASE HELP! I can only view 33% of my screen on MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JarinS1, Sep 9, 2008.

1. JarinS1 macrumors member

Hi,

I put my MBP to sleep earlier today and when I awakened the machine, the bottom 2/3 was black (although you can a resemblance of the object on the screen). The top 1/3 is visible though it is a little cloudy (e.g., colors definitely aren't vivid). I'm running parallels which occasionally causes problems after putting the MBP to sleep. My process is to pause parallels and then manually set the computer to sleep. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Everything seems to be operating fine, just can't see it!

Thank you.

JS

2. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

3. JarinS1 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, I have tried rebooting, taking the battery out, etc. Nothing seems to help.

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

5. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Reset the PRAM?
    Turn off the machine. Hold Command, Alt, P R. Then press power. It should bong. Continue holding. It should bong a second time. Release the keys.

6. JarinS1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, at least I can see the screen after the PRAM. Thanks for that. However, the bottom 2/3 is fading in and out to black usually progressing from left to right. Every once in awhile it will flash and return to my background. It's not stable though, it's slightly flickering. Any other ideas?

Thanks for all of your help.

JS

7. JarinS1 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so I reset the PRAM again, and the bottom 2/3 is fine now. The top 1/3 is functional (i.e., cursor, typing) but has a grey tint to it. the top 1/3 is separated from the bottom 2/3 with a white line. Any thoughts reason why they are acting differently?

I tried to reset the PRAM a 3rd time thinking "3rd time is a charm" but it didn't work.

Thanks again.

JS

8. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Try this. It controls the backlight.

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
    2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
    3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
    4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
    5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

9. JarinS1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I tried this and it reverted back to being black on the bottom (not sure if it was a result of this operation, could have been coincidence). I've tried resetting the PRAM again but to no avail. I just hooked the MBP up to an external display and the picture is fine on the external. Not sure what insight this provides...perhaps it's not the video card? Any thoughts?

10. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Sounds like the backlight.
    Call AppleCare, or take it to an Apple Store.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't get it....

If you've tried everything that people are suggesting here. Then it's time to give Apple a call and hope to god you still have warranty or at least AppleCare. If PRAM rests anti helping it's more than firmware issue. Sounds to me you have a faulty display, possibly logic board issue - only Apple can solve those.