PLEASE HELP!!! I clicked on the wrong folder to start up in

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ctsuccess, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ctsuccess macrumors newbie

I clicked on the wrong folder to start up in and now I don't know how I can start in Mac OSx 10.4 anymore. I have already pressed and held down the options key during start up but I can only select the HD drive (which is what I want) but I can't specify which folder to start up in (I accidently pressed 9 before instead of 10.4) and now I can't revert back to 10.4. Whenever I start it now, it is just a grey screen with a floppy disk image in the middle with a blinking question mark.

I thought it would start up in OS 9, but instead it's giving me the screen with the blinking folder, so I think there was something wrong with the OS 9.

No, I don't have the 10.4 Install disc with me, is there any other way to go back to the 10.4 startup volume.

Thanks for all the help, I'm sort of freaking out.

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

If OPTION key is not letting you select where to boot from, I think you might need the install disk so you can change it. I am not 100% though, hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Are you using a USB keyboard?
    Is it connected directly to the Mac, or through a hub?

4. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

try zapping pram then try select startup. if not work try reset of mum board by starting up when reach far as it will go pull power lead out and wait about 30 secs to 1 min replug in and then try select start up if not work then def, need boot disc

5. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

The Pram reset is good advice, but I wouldn't pull any power cords out of any mac whilst it's booting.

Safest option here is to boot with your installation disk in the drive and holding down option. This should get you going again.

6. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

to reset efi (or mother board )is recommended action supplied by apple. old comps used to have a button to do this.

7. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Just hold Alt at boot up and select a volume to boot from. Once you get in your OS change the default boot volume or you will have to repeat the Alt at boot task every Tim you start your Mac.