Please help, I don't know what to do about my USPS package

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Suno, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm getting close to desperation. This whole experience I've had in the past week has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life.

I ordered something off eBay, but I forgot to update my address so it was sent to my old address. I contacted the seller but the package was already shipped. I called USPS after to ask them if they could reroute the package back to me since it was en route. They said no BUT as long as my mails were getting forwarded to my new address (which was the case). The package was confirmed to be delivered on Jan. 11th and I still don't have my package.

I have been pestering USPS non stop for the past week but they are just full of arrogant people with attitudes. They are very unwilling to help me, try their best to hang up, and haven't helped me resolve this issue. To make matters worse, the tenants of my old address MOVED after the package was delivered, just 3 days later on Jan. 14th. So it's entirely possible that the package was delivered to them and they didn't return it.

So now I have money down the drain, no package, seller won’t refund me (that’s a given), and of course USPS will say it’s not their fault. The package was not insured either so the seller can't/isn't willing to do anything. Okay yeah, all of this could have been avoided if I wasn’t careless and updated my address in the beginning, but you can’t fault me for not taking responsibility afterwards. I did all I could to get the package back to me, but can you really blame me for not taking further action after USPS told me not to worry? They literally told me "don't worry, if your mails are getting forwarded, it should get to you". Who am I to not trust the words of a USPS employee?

So I guess what I’m asking is what should I do? Or more like is there anything I CAN do?

2. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

3. 'Bmac macrumors regular

Call USPS again!

I would call USPS 1 800 222 1811 and ask them for an investigation. Give them YOUR address and name the parcel was sent to and give them the name and address the parcel was sent from. They did that for me last month when I sent a parcel from USA to Australia. The parcel was found and delivered to who I sent it to with in 10 days. Hope that helps. Good luck!

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'm going to assume you already checked any sort of delivery number if the seller had one to see what "state" the package is in with USPS?

5. Educ8r macrumors 6502a

Educ8r

Write it off as a loss and always update your address when you move!

6. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Yep, write it off as an educational moment. We all make mistakes... Which is actually a good thing if we learn from them. I'm sure next time you'll update your address.

7. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

Yes, the tracking code has confirmed the delivery on Jan. 11th.

I don't know what you mean by state. If you mean the status of the package, it has been confirmed to be delivered on Jan. 11th.

I called that number as soon as I realized that I didn't have the package, despite the confirmed delivery state. They've done the investigation and told me that it was "sitting in a parcel locker". I've been pestering my local USPS office about that but they told me that it's not in there.

Thanks for the life lesson, as if I really need it.

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

It's fraud if whoever lives at that address accepted the delivered package. If the package has real value (like you ordered a Macbook Air or something), I would contact USPS again, and then discuss calling the police and launching an investigation.

Despite your negligence in not updating your address, whoever is living at that residence should have refused the package, and at the worst it should have been returned to sender.

The whole "hurrrr durrr you're so dumb for not updating your address" attitude is not only incorrect, but immature and not helpful.

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

Wait, what?

If I mail something to the wrong address/name combination, and it gets delivered, how is that fraud?

10. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

No, it's fraud to accept packages that are incorrectly delivered to your address as you're posing as the addressee.

11. dukebound85, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Reread what you quoted. It is fraud to accept other people's mail

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

Because the package wasn't meant for you, it doesn't belong to you.

13. ender land macrumors 6502a

well @#%#@ then I commit fraud on a regular basis when I get junk mail sent to people who no longer live here :eek:

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yeah pretty much. It's just not a big deal since nobody wants that crap. But for a package that somebody is waiting on it's a different story.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, it's not. Fraud requires intent to defraud someone; if the person that now lives at the address used the OP's name and address to try and get around being billed or something, that is fraud. If a package shows up at someone's door with a name they don't recognize and they don't make any effort to find the proper owner, that is not fraud.

Please learn what you're talking about before telling people what they are doing is a felony.

16. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

How long ago did you move? They only forward mail for so long and if the person that moved in already moved out I'm just curious how long ago you moved from that address.

17. Educ8r macrumors 6502a

Educ8r

Good question.

18. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

I moved out about 6 months ago, but I don't think that should be an issue. I'm still getting some forwarded mails even as of late. In fact, as if some divine God of mail delivery was watching over me, I got a mail today that was forwarded to my new address just today. So mails are definitely still getting forwarded to me.

19. dukebound85, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you accept/ open someone elses's mail, it is a federal crime.

I do, however, appreciate your condescending tone. Unfortunately, I feel that the advice you felt you needed to dispense may be useful to yourself as well.

Refer to section 1702

20. Krizzy macrumors newbie

Suno, I'm in the exact same boat as you and was wondering if you ever managed to resolve this issue and, if yes, what you did to resolve it.

I would be very grateful if you would be able to share that information with me.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I feel so used. I read this whole thread then realized how old it was.

22. Krizzy macrumors newbie

I'm so sorry, I hate that... I tried to message Suno privately however and have no option to do so. So I really did not have a choice but to bump a very old thread.... sorry to everyone that I disappoint...:eek:

23. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

and then... what the hell happened?!?

i got lucky, read the date in #7 and was like, wait, when?!?

no worries. hope you get the answer you are looking for. i just want to find out how it ends. like when the last few pages of a good book have gone missing... :mad:

24. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Wow...punked me. Glad I re-read the thread and noticed the dates before submitting my first response. :eek:

25. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Either way I'm curious what the value of the package was...