please help i have a question about ipod and itunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iloveyooh, Jan 10, 2008.

1. iloveyooh macrumors newbie

Hello. I am new and I really want an ipod touch! But I was wandering the following questions:
    1. If I get an 8 gig Ipod touch, would 500 songs, the full season of lincoln heights (10 episodes about 45 minutes each ) would that fit on an 8gig?

2. I want an Ipod touch but only an 8gig and I need to know if those will fit and how many gigs will i have left?

I may make an acception to the 16 gig if I dont have enough space but I dont have much money so hopefully I have enough

Thank you ahead of time :)

2. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

If you say your songs are on average 3megs and each episode is 325megs that would put you at around 4.75 gigs, more than enough room. Of course, the size of your shows depends on the quality of the resolution (I assumed very good quality in my calc).

3. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

OK.. Firstly, you will have enough space on your iPod Touch to fit 500 songs and your tv series if there are less than 20 episodes less than 30 minutes each.
    Secondly, i honestly cannot tell you how many gigs you will have left after you sync your iPod.

Hope this helps..:apple:

4. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That was quick. I have 224 songs right now and it is 1.14 gb total. is that a good thing? Anyone else have anything to say lol

5. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Even though you want someone elses opinion ill chime in again. The math puts your average song size at 5 megs which is a little high. If you convert your songs in iTunes to AAC files and delete the originals, this will save you some space (assuming this isnt already the case).

6. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, but how do i do that?

7. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Go to Preferences in iTunes then go to the advanced tab. Under importing select AAC Encoding. Highlight all your songs (or whichever songs you want to convert), right click, then click Convert to AAC. If you do all your songs it will take a long time so go grab a Starbucks or something. AS long as you dont touch your itunes while its converting, once its done all the originals will still be highlighted blue. Just right click and delete. A thing of note is if you have playlists set up and delete the original songs, the playlists will now be empty. So just write down or keep track of the playlists before you do this. Hope that helped and if you need more clarification just ask.

8. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

5MB isn't that big for a song file, mine are on average about 7.5MB each. You will be fine with your current song/video library fitting onto an 8GB iPod.

9. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I suggested that for the future. Once her library grows every bit will help especially with an 8gb machine.

10. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

but will I have enough room for the lincoln heights season?

11. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I highlight all of them at the same time? i tried but it just drags them

12. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind i figured out how to
    sorry

13. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

this really works im not even finished and I am already in my low MB's

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What's a smaller file size aac or mp3? which is better quality?

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

At the same bitrate they are the same filesize (as with all formats) but AAC is better quality at the same bitrates :)

16. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

look at the bottom of itunes, it should tell you the total amount of data you have in GB there

17. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

aac is smaller file size ( well a smaller MB ) and they are both the same quality
    i am listening to it rite now to check :)

18. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I see how many gigs there are in lincoln heights season before I download it?

19. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

On the Name/Time/Show bar in the TV show area, right click an empty space to bring up a list of options and click on Size, that will show you how much each episode size is in MB. Like in mine, each episode of House is around 300MB and that is pretty good quality.

20. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

that doesnt show me BEFORE i download it
    i need to make sure i have enough space
    thanks tho

21. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

Ahh, thought you had it already, sorry. Well lets see, with the same time frame for House which is about 45 mins like Lincoln Heights, the size is about 500MB and if it has around 25 episodes in a season like House, you would need about 12.5GB to store an entire season. The 8GB version won't be enough to store an entire season.

22. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

no it is 10 episodes. its ok i dont NEED lincoln heights

23. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I have 430 songs, 3 movies, 24 episodes of scrubs, 4 episodes of degrassi, and 3 of south park on my 16 gig so it would seem you could fit 500 songfs and 10 episodes on 8 gigs.

24. iloveyooh thread starter macrumors newbie

thank yooh!!! whoah thats alot you have on your ipod

how much space do u have left?