Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhythmcstorm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Hi and Happy New Year.

I am in a bind. I hope someone can guide me in the right direction. I bought a 1st gen iPhone off of ebay. The seller said it was unlocked. It has 2.2 firmware installed, as well as Installer and Cydia. When I put my t-mobile SIM card in, it locks up and says:

"Different Sim Detected. Please connect to itunes"

It locks up when connected to itunes, and only gives me access to emergency calls. Interestingly, it receives phone calls to my number associated with the SIM. I can also call out using the emergency access screen. But I can not get anywhere else within the phone with my SIM inside.

If I take out my SIM card, I can access the other features of the phone. If I have a wifi network to use I can access mail, safari, youtube, etc. I also imported all of my SIM contacts on airplane mode.

Can anyone help? I'd also be happy to pay someone if there is a more complicated process they could walk me through. I'm not the most technologically-inclined person in the world, so a lot of these guides go over my head.

THANKS SO MUCH!!
Sara

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Use PwnageTool to build a custom 2.2 firmware that will unlock and activate the phone.

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
you will have to read up on how to use pwnage tool to unlock the iphone, usually the first results on Google are the best ones to follow.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Google the exact error message and you should find your answer.

You have to SSH into the phone and remove a folder of some sort.

rhythmcstorm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I have googled the error message many times.... it's hard because I don't ever know which set of instructions applies to my situation, or which program to use, etc. Also, I don't understand a lot of the terms. I sort of need plain jane instructions. Why does my phone allow incoming calls if it's not unlocked already? (Incoming texts too)

Already, from this thread I got two different things to do:

1. remove a folder
2. use pwnage to unlock and build custom firmware

Should I try and do both? Do I need to restore the phone entirely and erase the installer and cydia that were already installed?

CONFUSED!!

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

I have googled the error message many times.... it's hard because I don't ever know which set of instructions applies to my situation, or which program to use, etc. Also, I don't understand a lot of the terms. I sort of need plain jane instructions. Why does my phone allow incoming calls if it's not unlocked already? (Incoming texts too)

Already, from this thread I got two different things to do:

1. remove a folder
2. use pwnage to unlock and build custom firmware

Should I try and do both? Do I need to restore the phone entirely and erase the installer and cydia that were already installed?

CONFUSED!!
I had the same issue when I was unlocking one of my buddy's first gen iphone. I forgot the path which I went down, but I am certain it was an activation folder that needed to be removed in order to use another sim card.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
The safest course of action would be to start fresh. Create a new ispw in Pwnage and Jailbreak and Unlock. Then set it up as a new phone in iTunes. Fresh start is always the best way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.