Please help! I shut manually turned off my mac while patching files

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bennnnnooo, Mar 3, 2008.

1. bennnnnooo macrumors newbie

I installed 4 updates, I think it was itunes, ilife and 2 other programs. I was shutting down my computer and it asked me if I wanted to install the 4 files either on the shut down or next time i start up, I forget when it actually was installing. Anyways it got to this stage "patching files." The progress bar was moving nowhere and I was sitting there for over 10 minutes before I got impatient and manually powered my mac off(I have a macbook w/ leopard.) The next time I started my up, I entered my password to login and the next screen was a plain leopard screen (not even my background. When I normally start up it takes me to the standard leopard screen for 2-3 seconds and then goes to my regular wallpaper.) No dock appears. I pressed every button on my keyboard. Nothing happens. No dock, no icons on my desktop. I restarted 10 times, even tried safe mode but same thing happens. Anybody know what I can do? On top of all that I'm in Italy now and I doubt they have an Apple store. Thanks in advance.

2. Quiara macrumors regular

Quiara

When software update is rewriting bits of your system? Don't power off. You might try repairing the volume with disk utility (from your install disks) or an archive and install but for future reference? Don't get impatient when software is updating. Pulling the plug on that is asking for system-wide file corruption. Go watch TV or play a game or something. There's a reason that they typically tell you to be attached to a power source when you're updating - it's basically so this doesn't happen.

3. bennnnnooo thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I know very ignorant of me to do that. I don't have any install disks here I'm oversea's I have them back in the US. Anything else I can do?

4. flir67 macrumors 6502

find a electronics store that has apple products buy leopard reinstall, once back home sell on ebay for half price get half your money back for you screwing up.. done......

5. slybeans macrumors member

Yes that was quite silly, looks like you have to buy a copy of Leopard, could have been worse though,

6. mikky05v macrumors member

when your restarting... just try powering it on and letting it sit to see if anything happens... i had an issue where mine gave me the leopard screen for 45 minutes before finally booting... but honestly you'll prolly just have to purchase leopard .. you definitely will need a disc repair

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Try unplugging your Mac...

then hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. Make sure you disconnect all external peripherals. Now, hold the power button down and the option button at the same time, when your Mac turns on select system preferences and click start up disk, and select Mac OS X (Leopard). The ultimate fix would require the Utility Disk for repairs. Keep us posted. :cool: