Please help I sold my macbook new owners say password not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patricem, Dec 5, 2012.

1. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

I had a 17in 2.16 ghz macbook pro that was running, I think Tiger. I bought it and the former owner changed the password right there. I updated the software, then I upgraded to Snow Leopard, then I downloaded rosetta. Thats all I did on it, using the password the previous owner gave me. Now the new owners say that password is not correct. They are getting very frustrated. Any ideas or tips what may have happened, or what I may do??

Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Always do a fresh OS install on a used computer.

Tell them to buy a SL DVD and boot from it.

3. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

I didn't have any original discs that went with that computer.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

They shouldn't be hard to find, eBay, Craigslist... Should be around $29

Make sure they buy the generic version.

How did you manage to update it to SL without the disks?

5. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

I update to SL with the discs. I mean when I sold the computer I didn't reset everything like back to Tiger or whatever was originally running. The new owners are very upset and frustrated and want to know what they can do right now tonight. Should they remove rosetta and snow leopard and then the original password will work? Why isn't it working anyway?

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Can't just remove SL, they're going to need to reinstall an OS.
    Since you have the SL disks why not just give them to them.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You need to give them the Snow Leopard disks and probably reinstall(from scratch) the operating system. Unless you've done a format and reinstall, you're going to run into problems like this.

8. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

But why ? The admin password worked for me. Does SL change that or what?

9. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Or they did and forgot what they set it to so they blame it on you. Like the others said, reinstall a clean OS

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Because its so easy there isn't a good reason not to?

12. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

He looks honest?

Oh, snap! :p

14. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

You guys come on it's not stolen. I bought it from it's original owner, and now I just sold it. I don't understand why when I updated it the password worked fine, and now suddenly after it's running SL it's not working. The people just bought it yesterday so I doubt they put in a new password overnight and now have forgotten what it was. Apparently it can be reset with the SL disc, is what I am gathering from the responses here, so I guess I'll tell them sorry but thats what they need to do. Personally I feel bad selling something to someone and it doesn't work as they hoped.....I thought someone here might know how they could figure it out right away. So whatever

15. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Basically what we're telling you is that if indeed the system has a password on it no one knows, only way you're going to make use of the computer is to boot it to an OS install and wipe and re-install.

I think what a lot of people find odd is that you didn't do that before you sold it so as to make sure there was no chance of any of your data on it. The SL upgrade wouldn't have reset the password.

16. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

Just give then the CDS ,Thats it!!

17. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

I thought the only way to do a clean OS to delete all my info was to do it with the original discs that went with that laptop. I didn't realize I could do it with the SL discs. I thought about that but then a lot of the programs on there wouldn't work, although I could have then reloaded Rosetta. I had it for a very short time and barely used it, like maybe 5 times, so I didn't have much private info on it....no bank accounts, no bookmarks, almost nothing. So I wasn't too worried about any pertinent data being passed. Perhaps I changed the password when I upgraded to SL and don't remember? I don't know. I thought I did know the password. If I reload SL for them then I can reset the password, or they can? This is what I am reading. Thx

18. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Provide the SL disk to the new owner and let them install the OS from scratch. Why the new password isn't working? Who knows. The OS disk should have accompanied the system when it was sold, IMNSHO.

19. hface119 macrumors newbie

How many times does it need to be said? there is only one solution here. Do what has been suggested countless times, or you're SOL. It's as if you refuse to accept the answer everyone has given you.

20. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Did you by chance "make the sale" with programs already on there? As in your ad stated it came with Office etc..... And that is why you didn't do a clean install? If so and your want to be proper about it, offer them a partial refund.

21. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.