Please Help,i spilled baileys on my MBP's keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imanwarih, Feb 20, 2009.

1. imanwarih macrumors newbie

i spilled baileys on my keyboard,that is an alchohol coffee drink and it's sticky when it's going to dry.i have clean the keyboard and they all completely work,i keep continuing chat with my friend.at the end of chat,the 'n' letter,can't be typped.and then i restarted my laptop,at the login box the "n" letter always typped and like always pushed like this "nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..." and it stopped when i push another letter on my keyboard,but when i push "n" again,it doesn't work anymore. so what should i do?i'm so confuse.please give me some advice,senior.
    thanks before.

2. fleggyCakes macrumors newbie

The keys pop off pretty easy - use a pocket knife or something similar, get it under the edge, and pull up gently. Clean the affected keys with rubbing alcohol and let them dry fully. Then just pop them back on, you may need to use a straightened paper clip or similar to prop open the latch that holds the key on when you're replacing it.

3. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

4. be300test macrumors member

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Well judging by your grammar, I'd say you're a bit drunk from the Bailey's. :D

Just kidding. But I too would recommend a keyboard replacement.

6. emotta macrumors member

haha how funny i was thinking the same. no more drinking and typing!!!!:D

7. imanwarih thread starter macrumors newbie

actually i can't speak english,but i try hardly to talking about my damned keyboard,hahahaha:D.what do you mean with keyboard replacement?buy an external keyboard?but my keyboard always typ "nnnnnnnnnnnnn.." and it's so annoying..:cool:

8. epyfa macrumors regular

Keyboard replacement means you get a new keyboard to replace your old one.

9. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I'm surprised by just how many people on this forum spill liquids on there precious notebooks.

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Me too, I threaten anyone who comes near my laptop with food or drink.

Cheers,

11. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Drinks are the number one reason why I use an external keyboard.

The cost of a new keyboard replacement (at least at the authorized mac repair shop I work at) generally runs around 48$. I'm not sure where you're from, but that is remarkably cheap compared to the cost of say an LCD replacement.

On a side note, cleaning out the keyboard is royal pain in the butt. Getting the key off is easy, but getting it back on is a nightmare. You have to push its little legs in very carefully using tweezers and a jeweler's screw driver.

12. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

:D You made my day

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Try tipping the MBP towards the side of the spill and lap-up the remaining "BAILEY'S" and park your butt in the Lazy-Boy Chair for a couple of hours, then take public transportation to your own residence...:D It's a joke, stop tipping your MBP! lol :p

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Bailey's!!! Not larger, bitter, Vodka etc but Bailey's! Hmm, a tricky one, treat it like coke I would bar the acid that will clean chrome part! It will go sticky as you said. But you as said above could try pure alcohol to clean the affected key CAREFULLY. If no joy then crack the machine apart so long as it isn't under warranty, then change the keyboard or the top part of the case? Thinking how the MB Pro is made, I don't THINK the drink would get on the motherboard etc.
    I silt water on my old MB Pro recently, but it was switched off and I grabbed it, took the battery out within seconds. Then then mopped up what I could see and left it for the whole day. It had no ill effects after but then again not much went on it cause as I said it was powered off and closed.

15. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

If i drink around my mac i will use a external keyboard. They only cost like 10 bux to replace

16. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Duh :p

17. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

MacBook Pro keyboards are in the $80's on ifixit if you put it in yourself although apple will charge a lot to fix it because it is user damage.