Please Help I Think I may Have Ruined My Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bruki, May 19, 2008.

1. Bruki macrumors newbie

Bruki

Hi

I Just (it appears stupidly) tried to install ubuntu to a 32 Gb partition using Bootcamp,

The install seemed to go fine, I went through all the steps with Ubuntu & at the end it said to restart the system to finish installation, which I did.

However the system will only boot into the OS X partition (even when holding down alt at start up it only shows mac)

So I thought OK maybe it just won't work so ran bootcamp assistant again to reformat the drive to a single partition but I can't, I get this message

"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows"

So basically I have a partition with ubuntu installed which I can't access & my Hard drive is missing the 32Gb partition which I can't seem to get back!

Please I would really appreciate any help with this, I would like to access & run ubuntu if possible but more importantly I don't want to loose the 32Gb of disk space can anyone please help me get it back.

Thank You

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Open disk utility, select the 32 Gb partition, delete it, and resize your original one to full size.

3. Bruki thread starter macrumors newbie

Bruki

If that works that would be fantasitc but it doesnt seem to be that simple.

in disk utility it has an "erase" option but no delete? i've tried erasing but it dosen't seem to do anything it just kind of mounts the disk?

a little direction on how to do it would be much appreciated

Thanks again