PLEASE HELP...I think I messed up!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pb1300, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

I had a folder on my desktop that had all types of info in it. I moved that folder to my dock. Accidentilly, I dragged that folder back to the desktop, and it went poof. Is there any way to get that folder back? I have a lot of important information in it. And no, I didnt back up with Time Machine..HELP PLEASE!!!!!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Just do a Spotlight search for the name of the folder, and it should find it.

3. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That didnt work. Doh

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Try a Spotlight search for the name of any file within the folder you lost.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The dock only contains shortcuts. Removing things from the dock only deletes the shortcut, not the actual file/folder/app.

6. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh man, I forgot that I deleted the folder earlier after I added it to the Dock. THANKFULLY I didnt empty my trash....phew. Thanks for the help Surely though.

One quick question...if I want to access a file in that folder, which would be in the dock, how do I do that? I mean when I want to add photos to my iPhone, I have them in that folder. Is there a path to that folder?

7. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I understand that. When I tried searching for the files in that folder, or a sub-folder I had in it, I wouldnt get any results.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

See my above post. The dock contains shortcuts. Any folder can be 'dragged' to the dock and a shortcut will be created. The thing is the dock does not replace the original folder, it is just a shortcut to it.

9. pb1300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got that. I know I can drag stuff off the dock that I dont want there anymore. The issue I had was that I moved a folder from my desktop to the dock, and when I removed it, I could not find it anywhere. When I went to Spotlight or Finder, I would type the name of a folder in that folder (Transmission for example), and the only thing would show up is that programs app. I would then search other folders I had in that folder, and I wouldnt be able to find anything.

10. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You're still not understanding. When you drag the folder to the Dock you are not moving the folder, you are creating an alias to that folder. If you then delete the originating folder your alias points to nothing as the originating folder no longer exists. The reason you could not find your files through a Spotlight search is that Spotlight does not search (index) the Trash. If your folder, eg. Documents, was on your Desktop the path would be /Users/YOU/Desktop/Documents.