Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waterpolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Today I just wipped open my ibook G4 and there was this white line on the screen. I tried turning off my computer but nothing. I am sure I didnt break it because it was not dropped or any kind of damage to it. After I put my mouse over and dragged my mouse over the line and it and it changed colors to like a red kind of color. IDK i am color blind but its not white. Also I tried taking a screenshot of it but it doesnt show up in any of them? Does that mean its the screen? Do these just Pop up any time because I am sure I have not dealt damage in the last 2 years or 24 hours. Does the problem go away on its own?

PLEASE HELP ME!!

Thanks
Chris

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
A single horizontal line (or a set of them) on your screen is the result of a failure in the LCD. Without getting too technical, each row of pixels is controlled by dedicated hardware in the panel (because there are too many pixels to control as a whole). The chip that controls the pixels on that line has failed. 99% of the time this is due to physical damage, but it's not impossible that it simply failed due to age or an electrical short.

It's not going away and it's not something that can be repaired. You can replace the display, but the expense involved is probably not worth it. The good news, if any, is that you can hook up an external monitor (something larger with higher resolution) without worrying about the line. Other than that, it's there to stay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.