Please help: I'm having a series of problems trying to install Leopard on my imac g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by lolwatpear, Aug 6, 2013.

1. lolwatpear, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

lolwatpear macrumors member

I've been trying to do this for hours, but I've not found a solution. I simply want to install Leopard on my g4, but the horrible compatibility of this machine with the newer technologies is preventing me from doing so. I really do not want to spend any more money trying to get it on this old computer. This is what I've tried so far:

1. I was going to do it by disc. The problem is that my DVD drive appears to be unable to read DVDs anymore. I then remembered I had some IDE drives, but sadly recalled I threw them out, thinking I wouldn't need them.

2. Second option is to use firewire, however, I have no firewire cable, or any firewire harddrive. I've never even used firewire in my life.

3. Third option is USB with a .dmg? I'm in the process of using this guide (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1112834), but why would this work? I thought you can't boot from usb with a powerpc imac? I'm currently transfering the large disk .dmg's which is why I don't know if it works yet.

Does anyone have a working solution? I'd consider spending some money, but I really rather not.

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Couple questions first...

-what PowerPC model is your G4?
    -how much ram does it have installed?

3. lolwatpear thread starter macrumors member

Is this enough info?

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: iMac
    Machine Model: PowerMac6,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.3)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    Memory: 768 MB
    Bus Speed: 133 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.5.8f1

and it appears I don't have USB 2.0 with this model as it doesn't say high speed BUS.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

asked to make sure it was even up to running leopard (I personally would stick with tiger,but understand)

-do you have access to another powerpc?

5. lolwatpear thread starter macrumors member

no, I just have a hackintosh and PC. I found out the DVD reading capabilities aren't the problem, it's just that it won't read dual layers.

6. robertosh macrumors 6502

robertosh

Follow this how-to to install Leopard from a usb in a powerpc. It worked for me with a iBook G4. Important: You have to get a copy of retail Leopard (not the one that came with an Intel mac, for example).

Good luck!

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Robertosh would this work with his 1.1usb? (be painfully slow)

8. lolwatpear thread starter macrumors member

Lol it is. I just set it up now, and it has a 7 1/2 hour estimate. Thanks by the way, robertosh.