Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Breasts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I just got a macbook pro today and I tried to use the bootcamp wizard. I inserted my windows 7 cd to install and everything was going fine but upon restart it has froze at "cannot boot from cd- code: 5'

I have googled the heck out of it and tried to hold the power button, tried the eject button, tried control command power, none of it is working it is just sitting like this with the little curor blinking. Nothing will shut it off or reset it, what do I do?!

----------

its also getting super hot on the bottom :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Did you try to hold down the power button for ten seconds instead of five to shut the Mac off?

The hotness comes due to the CPU drawing more power due to it being used more intensely. The Mac will shutdown to prevent any damage to its hardware if it gets too hot.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Don't worry OP, you have restore disks with that Macbook Pro for a reason. If you genuinely have a hardware problem (rare but it does happen) then Apple will gladly exchange it for you.

Breasts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
oh thank god, 20 seconds got it off, but when i turn it back on, it automatically tries to boot from the disk and i cant eject it, what should I do at this point? I bought it refurbished from apple so I got no recovery disks

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
oh thank god, 20 seconds got it off, but when i turn it back on, it automatically tries to boot from the disk and i cant eject it, what should I do at this point? I bought it refurbished from apple so I got no recovery disks

Hold down the option key on boot and select your OS X installation

Breasts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Hold down the option key on boot and select your OS X installation

you are a godsend, thank you. I will try to remove that corrupt parition now that im back in mac. not sure why bootcamp wouldnt read from the windows disk i had

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
downloaded, but I burnt the .iso directly and its perfectly bootable in my windows pc

You need to use a retail disk. Piracy is illegal and I will be unable to assist you further until you buy a retail copy of windows.

You can also download windows 8 consumer preview from Microsoft. That I will help you with as it is not illegal.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
You need to use a retail disk. Piracy is illegal and I will be unable to assist you further until you buy a retail copy of windows.

You can also download windows 8 consumer preview from Microsoft. That I will help you with as it is not illegal.

It may be the version that is free to students. Mine was a downloaded ISO file when Microsoft gave it free to students at my college.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
It may be the version that is free to students. Mine was a downloaded ISO file when Microsoft gave it free to students at my college.

exactly. mine is an education version as well. its quite common these days..

OP, can u make it a usb bootable? maybe the cd reader is causing some problems? i remmeber windows had a tool to do that

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ok, I apologize if I seemed a bit rude, but these days piracy is very common.

Now, have you made sure that the education version is compatible with bootcamp?

Ya its compatible. Its not really an education version, its a regular version but with no physical media. You log in to their site with a school ID and you can get it from there.

I think it was called MSDN Alliance or something but Microsoft let you download Windows, Office, and a few other programs (like Visio) for free.

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
Ya its compatible. Its not really an education version, its a regular version but with no physical media. You log in to their site with a school ID and you can get it from there.

I think it was called MSDN Alliance or something but Microsoft let you download Windows, Office, and a few other programs (like Visio) for free.

Maybe he should try a different brand DVD?

I have never worked with a downloaded windows installation before.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Make sure the disk doesnt have any scratches in it that would stop it from reading the infomation the disk and that what probably stopped it from installing on your machine even as little as finger prints can stop a disk from reading i have done it many times myself and thought why isnt these disk working and put it in the cd cleaner and it works perfect so little thing can make a huge problem

i hope that helps

paul :):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.