Please Help, iMac can't load, too many images on desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mileslong, Nov 7, 2010.

1. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

I was using adobe final cut and I exported an flv movie and it put every single frame from the movie all on my desktop. Now the minute it loads it jams finder and I get a beachball that will never end.

I need Ti delete all these images but can get to that point before it freezes. I'm totally stuck, any ideas?? I have a proposal to finish tonight and I'm losing my mind!

Thanks !!

Mark

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Boot into single user mode and delete them using the command line?

3. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

What commands would I use? I will try to get into single user somehow now. Thanks for your help, I'm desperate !!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have access to another Mac with Firewire, you can boot the problematic Mac in Target Disk Mode and delete the files via that other Mac.

Btw, there is only Adobe Premiere Pro and Apple Final Cut Pro, not Adobe Final Cut.

5. mileslong thread starter macrumors 6502

mileslong

I meant apple final cut, just flustered, still trying to get into single user mode, I have a Mac laptop but don't know it I have a FireWire cable. Losing it, I hold down the command key and S key to boot but not sure what command to use to have it boot up after that

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Navigate to your user:

Code:
    cd /Users/YOURUSER/Desktop/
    Replace "YOURUSER" with your user name.

Assuming you want to delete the files and they all end with the same extension and they are the only ones with that extension on the desktop (or you don't mind deleting any other files on the desktop with the same extension):

Code:
    rm ./*.ext
    Replace ".ext" with the extension of the file. rm is the delete command, so be careful with it. Alternatively, if the files have a repeating name (like frame01.jpg) you could use:

Code:
    rm ./frame*.jpg
    or whatever fits the format. * is a wildcard symbol, meaning it will delete anything that conforms to the example where * is anything but the rest is the same.

If it won't let you delete, add "sudo" to the front, like so:

Code:
    sudo rm ./frame*.jpg
    Sudo drops you into super-user mode for that command, which means the computer will do whatever you tell it (including deleting core system files should you tell it to) so try it without sudo first.

That will delete all the images for you. Some basic commands for navigation:

cd - change directory. Format is cd /path
    ls - list contents. All you have to do is type ls.
    ./ - current directory

This should get you good to go. Let me know if you have any problems.

And remember:

DON'T PLAY AROUND WITH SUDO. ONLY USE IT IF NECESSARY AS YOU CAN REALLY MESS UP YOUR SYSTEM WITH IT IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

You have been given the power. You have been warned.

7. Hal Itosis, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Don't forget: the first thing he'll need to do is...

mount -uw /

...to enable writing to disk.

[yes, it's also mentioned on the SU mode startup screen itself, but he might not read that.]

This is confusing. His question was about single-user mode... so, sudo not needed.

8. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Are these files you want gone perchance all named with a particular extension? That would make life easy. Or, is your desktop normally totally empty (no files or folders) perhaps?

I would prefer more info before posting imprecise commands myself.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Oh, right! I forgot about that. Thanks.