Please help (IMAP doesn't keep messages more than 7 days)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

This is the second time this has happened, My account is set up for IMAP on MBP and iPhone, But again, I'm left with only the last 7 days email. I have no idea why, because the last time this did this it didn't happen straight away, and I thought it was keeping them on the Mac, but today I've lost another load of important mails. Today's only go back to the 8th, and this keeps happening. WHY 7 days? There's no setting on the server I'm sure, and this never happened before I got the Mac so..... any help greatly appreciated as my work is going down the pan fast since I got this MBP. I can't carry on like this with never having these mails. Is there a setting that isn't right on here or...?

Account info has no settings I can see to be able to keep on server, and Server says it's on Mac.
    Only setting on iPhone is delete 'deleted' messages after 7 days, nothing else

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I believe there is a setting somewhere in order to increase the days threshold. Look for it in mail settings.

3. Peter Franks, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the problem, there isn't anything like that, Maybe there is for POP but not IMAP settings

By the way...... It's only deleting the Inbox mails, the SENT are all there. I'm now even more confused

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

This is mad, and this is why the sent items are staying on there, and not deleting, but where is there that option for the 'Inbox', and where does it get '7 days' from, and not 14 or 28, There must be something somewhere?

[​IMG]

5. Peter Franks, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Well my 'host' says it's the Mac, because unless you go into the server and delete the mails they don't disappear, so I'm at a complete loss as to why the emails in the INBOX only, disappear after 7 days, but SENT don't.

Anyone who can solve this, you'll be on my Xmas card list forever!

There's no settings on the iPhone that could cause this is there, There's only a delete 'TRASH' after 7 days on that

Edit, It's now actually only 5 days in the INBOX!!

Tried setting up in Outlook instead of Mac Mail and you still only get the options to control Sent, Draft, Trash, Junk but no INBOX!! Presumably if you had the 'Store in this folder' for INBOX, that would sort it out?

[​IMG]

6. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you didn't set up POP on any other machine? Or IMAP with pruning?

Start by changing your password to completely exclude that possibility.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi, no I had POP on my old machine, but IMAP on the phone, and that worked for years, Even after messages were downloaded to PC they never left the server till I actually went and deleted them

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Anything stick out on here that may be conflicting with the MBP?

[​IMG]

Also, something else that's started to happen, just to wind me up a bit more, I always thought that those Drafts that save automatically when you're replying to emails, as soon as they're sent they go from Drafts, Why are they staying in Drafts, after they've been sent in Sent items and Drafts too?

9. velocityg4, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You really need to do this so that some forgotten program that may be connecting cannot. Then delete the account from your iPhone and Mail. You can the add the account back to the iPhone.

For the Mac side I would try using Thunderbird. At least it specifically mentions a settings for auto-deleting messages (which is off by default). I cannot think of any setting in Mac Mail that would do this besides a custom rule. Nor any on the iPhone.

Untitled.jpg

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

You really should name your thread title better. You would probably get a lot more help. :)

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks people, have done the password bit, I am a man of very basic knowledge and I know that doesn't help! But If it is the same in Outlook as Mac Mail..., which also has leave messages on server, but obviously it's not leaving them on there, I will have to revert to POP. It's not ideal because that's what I bought the iPhone for, but it won't sync up if it's POP on the Mac. The stupid part is Sent messages are OK.