Please help! Improving my 2009 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rustygurl, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rustygurl macrumors newbie

Hey! I have multiple questions and hopefully, they will not sound too stupid for this website!

So I have the Macbook (late 2009) with this :
    Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    STORAGE 260 GB

I also run a test for the battery health this morning and the current max is almost 95% of the original battery ! So for me, who doesn't know anything about computer, that sounds good!

So I decided not to sell it and keep it instead. I would like it to be more useful for me. Which means :
    Being able to store more data. Right now, I must have a ton of photo and music. I don't want to put it on an external drive because I have the feeling that iPhoto and iTunes would not work with the completeness of my libraries if I would transfer music and photos to an external hard drive. Does this make sense? Getting fights with my "non-mac" boyfriend about that ! ;)

Therefore, what should I change to able more storage ? Can I do it myself? Where do I buy the additional storage?

Is there anything else I could do to tune it up ? I installed Mountain Lion and surprisingly, the computer is still working at a reasonable speed.
    Is there anything I could change that would make it even faster ? Again, could I change it myself and where should I buy additional "speed" ?

That's it for now!
    Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

2. scott.n macrumors 6502

1. Your first step should be to install more RAM. Your MacBook can take up to 8 GB. You should be able to put 4 GB (2 x 2 GB modules) in it for around $25 or 8 GB (2 x 4 GB modules) for around $50.

2. Nothing will make your computer seem faster than upgrading your hard drive to an SSD. However, getting more storage than what you currently have will be expensive. You can get a 256 GB SSD for around $200 or a 512 GB SSD for around $400. Otherwise, you can pick up a 500 GB or 750 GB hard drive for $60 to $80.

You can do these upgrades yourself. Instructions are in the manual that came with your computer. (Also available here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_13inch_Late2009_UG.pdf) You'll need a Phillips #00 screwdriver and ideally an anti-static work mat.

iTunes and iPhoto will work with your libraries stored on external disks, but it's not always a pleasant experience (especially if the libraries are large).

3. Estes macrumors member

I have the exact same Macbook and made the first ever upgrades to it myself in December. I had never opened a laptop before but it was extremely easy. Just buy the 00 phillips screwdriver and follow the ifix it guide.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook

I got 8 GB or RAM at OWC.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_White

I didn't need space, I just wanted the same thing but faster so I only bought a 256 GB SSD, but you might want to just get a large but slower drive to accommodate more data.

Good luck.