Please help in confirming that a JB exists for the 3g with iOS 4.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by chrisedmonds, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chrisedmonds macrumors newbie

I have searched and tried different jailbreak methods but no program works for my model, a Ipod Touch 3rd gen with 4.0 software. I have read both that you can and that you cant jailbreak, and I know that Spirit is not working and jailbreakme is not working either.

Also jailbreak matrix is reporting that jailbreakme WILL work but again I have no such luck. So do I have to downgrade firmwares to get it to work, or do I need to just wait until a jailbreak comes out? I would really appreciate a answer. thanks

2. Kafluke macrumors member

www.jailbreakme.com has been confirmed to work on all ipod touch and iphones on 4.0.

Try going to a stock image (maybe 3.1.2) and then upgrading to 4.0 and using www.jailbreakme.com.

I had a buddy that was using his 8gb MC ipod touch on 4.0 jailbroken with spirit. It was a custom image so we first restored him to 3.1.2 stock image and then did a regular update to 4.0 over itunes. Then we used www.jailbreakme.com and it worked perfect.

3. chrisedmonds thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it does work for the 8gb model, because that model is still technicality a 2nd gen. I have the newer 32gb 3rd gen Ipod Touch. But I'll try what you said but iam just worried that when I jailbreak on 3.1.2 and then upgrade to 4.0 that i will erase the jailbreak and render all this effort useless... I just really want a solid answer on this.

Also when I go to jailbreakme.com the safari browser crashes and I return back to the home screen, this happens every time, leading me to believe that it is not supported.