Please help in setting up AEBS - terrible signal

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MDTyKe, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MDTyKe macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I had a regular 54mbps router but I was always getting a slightly weak connection in my bedroom, so I got a .11n 100mbps (past range) AExtreme's on eBay. Now, using AP Grapher, and even sitting right beside it, the signal strength is better on my old router!

As I move out of the room, towards my bedroom, the AExtreme signal drops half way there completely, while the old one remains. Any ideas what on earth is wrong? Im using 5GHz (I live on the UK/Ireland border so should get away with it, as its legal in Ireland) "only".

Have a Macbook C2D that I got in California last April.

To note; when I check in iStumbler, it says -1MHz where the other one says 2437MHz? Assuming just a bug. Interestingly, sitting a few feet away from it, im only getting a signal strength of about 58%, noise of 11%. Tried disconnecting all phones and the other router, but it does't help.

Matt

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you changed channels on it? What channels is the old one running?

3. MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

The old one was 6, but I tried 11 and 1 on it. But, for the AEBS, its set to Automatic for 802.11n and I can't change it - but I've noticed its using Channel 36 all the time with that setting.

Ahh please help me; I'm seriously dissapointed.. sort of couldn't believe it when I went into my room and my .11n signal was weaker!!

Matt

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Are you using 5GHz N or 2.4GHz N?

If I'm not mistaken 2.4GHz N has a longer range than 5GHz N, but you also do not get 300MBps (theoretically) on 2.4GHz you are limited to 130. Of course 5GHz has less interference. So it's a tradeoff.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Perhpas there is

Lead paint?
    Signal interference?

6. MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

To put it into perspective ,I live in the middle of nowhere; so no neighbors signals or interference from what I can see.

If I go for .11n 2.4GHz, I can indeed pick up a signal, but it is much weaker than the .11g signal that I'm getting from my other router. If I go for 5GHz ,I get nothing unless I'm literally sitting beside the router. As soon as I go out of the room; bam - its gone.

Any ideas? I also ticked wide channels but to no avail. I thought with the .11n; even if it was the 2.4GHz option that I would be getting a much better signal than with the .11g; it's worse. With .11g in my room I get operable speeds of around 1-24 / 54.. but with .11n its pretty much 1/130 (the abg mode)

It's driving me mad, I can't figure it out. I wanted to use this to share a HDD and printer too, which is why I got it; but my hopes have been dashed.

7. MDTyKe thread starter macrumors regular

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

have you disabled all IPv6 stuff on the Airport Extreme? I heard that is works, but never tried it on mine.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I suppose it's not impossible that you purchased one with a bad antenna. Assuming that the eBay seller was an individual and not a store, if that's the case you might well be out of luck. It seems almost impossible that a properly working Extreme would have that sort of signal issue.

If you have no option to return it, you might try opening it up and looking for loose/disconnected wires.