Please Help: iPhone 4 call quality sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mt0trip, Aug 11, 2010.

1. mt0trip macrumors newbie

I have my iPhone 4 about a week and the call quality sucks both from what I hear and from what people tell me how I sound when using the phone. It is very muffled voice almost like someone is talked very far away from the phone. The apple store people say it sounds fine. What should I do. Go to AT&T? Please help. I am very frustrated. I do have the shipping protective cover off.

2. boydp182 macrumors newbie

Right there with you man. I did a google search for it and found your post and registered just to reply that I am having the same problem. I have a 3gs and my wife had a 3g and I got her a iphone 4 and she sounds aweful when I talk to her just like your describing. Would love to know why as well.

3. halisray macrumors regular

4. R Evans macrumors newbie

Doubt seriously that this is an AT&T problem... a friend upgraded to an iPhone 4 and the voice quality is terrible. The first few words spoken come through clear as a bell then the voice quality sink into an abysmal muffled slogging of words and phrases that are unintelligible... and it is not the fault of the spoken voice. Something is overdamping the transmitted audio on the iPhone 4. The phone has been taken back to the 'Apple Store' twice now and both times told that the phone is working fine. When is Apple going to recognize the problem and do something about it.???

5. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not just you, I've also taken my iPhone back to the Apple Store for the same problem of very very poor call quality. I exchanged it for another iPhone 4 and it still has the muffled sound in every call. Looks like it is a design flaw with the iPhone 4. All my other non Apple phones have never had this problem.

6. zephxiii macrumors 6502

When i got the 4, I kinda felt that the earpiece was not as good as the 3GS's. When I got the 3GS, i thought it was nowhere near as good as my other phones.

7. iphonesoundsuck macrumors newbie

bottom of a well - and worse!

After waiting for phones on backorder hubby and I were quite excited
    to expore the wonders of the much awaited iPhone4.
    We played with features, slid to left and right, getting used to the screen.
    It's a great interface.
    And then we went to other ends of the house and called each other.
    This is not an acceptable phone! It's great that it has a wonderful screen and I can type away with one very well aimed finger but what the hell.... do they really think this is acceptable phone quality?????
    I can't believe it. Is there a fix? Or is everyone else who jumped on the bandwagon quietly suffering the quality rather than admit it was a bad decision?
    If just one or two of our colleagues had broken the "code of silence" and mentioned this we wouldn't have said "i do" to iPhone!

If there is a solution to making it work as a phone - I'm happy to move forward with the "toy" aspects of the device.

8. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Take them back and see if you can exchange them. I have no voice quality issues with my phone. Might have been a bad batch

9. iphonesoundsuck macrumors newbie

If it were just one phone I'd be more inclined to think this might be the case... but the odds of both of them being faulty I am doubtful of.
    I think it's just a great gadget but a terrible phone.
    Voice communication was not a priority for the design team.

10. tophat1 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

My call quality is the best I've ever had, and I have owned about 10 cell phones. It is fantastic, whether I am holding it up to my ear or using the earphones

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No complaints here, both on AT&T and Verizon.

12. iphonesoundsuck macrumors newbie

So maybe both phones are duds. What are the odds.
    However I've now read quite a few web posts that reference the same call issues. I'm really disappointed - more so than angry.
    I wanted it to be "all that".

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Get the app 'Viber' and get another iPhone friend to get it too.

Get both phones on Wifi and call your friend.

How does it sound?

If it sucks, use that as proof to make the Apple people replace the phone since they're is clearly something wrong with the hardware. If it sounds great, blame your network where you live.

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried the phone from a different tower?
    BTW, Call quality on our two phones is excellent. My wife and I have owned every generation of iPhone from 2 on up to 4, and the call quality has been consistently great.

15. iphonesoundsuck macrumors newbie

No haven't tried diff towers - just around our neighborhood.
    Worth a try I guess. Although we live in the center of the city so
    would assume this is a technologically well served zone.

16. iphonesoundsuck macrumors newbie

Small White Car - thanks for the suggestion.
    We'll give it a try this weekend. Clock is ticking - 14 days is the countdown.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems to be only newbies having "problems"

In reality, iPhone wins best mobile device at 2011 Mobile World Congress.

18. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Well my iphone has better sound than my previous 2 phones (a Nokia and Ericsson) but when it sucks-it sucks the same places all my others do-that is where I got crap reception before or when the person I am taking to is in a poor area for reception. So a network problem in my case.

19. iphonesoundsuck macrumors newbie

It's not the reception - it's the actual tone and sound of the voice transmission.
    Our previous Motorola phones sounded like land lines. This one sounds
    like a bad VOIP.

We may be newbies to iPhone and I will admit havent' mastered all the
    features - but our ability to hear doesn't require previous iPhone experience
    or mastery of any its features.
    My husband and I have are both media production profesionals and have both spent many hours in television and audio production studios. Perhaps we have higher expectations.

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

i just went from a 3GS to an HTC phone and i can suddenly use the phone in the elevator. and i'm still on AT&T. even a friend of mine with an iphone 4 said his doesn't work in elevators.

still use my old 3GS as an ipod though and for email as well. iOS is way better than Android in some ways

21. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Yea, odd how the new ones are having issues and all of a sudden someone else finds the post, that is also new.

wonder if they get paid by the post?

22. alent1234 macrumors 603

could be water damage

my wife's iphone4 had the same issues and she had it replaced under apple care due to very slight water damage. works OK now

23. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Since they have two new phones doing the same thing, I doubt that it water damage.

24. iphonesoundsuck macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with a client who commented on the
    poor call quality. It's not just my husband and I.
    others are commenting - unprompted.

25. Vice92 macrumors regular

I would look into getting the phone replaced. I just got my iPhone 4 a few days ago and it gives me the best voice quality of any phone I've owned.