Please help, ipod damaged!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Davidoreo, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Davidoreo macrumors newbie

Hi, im in need of serious help. Yesterday i accidentally dropped my ipod touch 3g in the toilet. It was in for about 2 seconds when i fished it out. I was then told by a random idiot that i should soak it in 70 percent rubbing alcohol for 10 minutes then follow that up by putting it in rice. The problem is the inside of my screen now has pockets of alcohol moving across it and it will not turn on unless i plug it into the computer and then it only sas charging but it dosent charge and my computer dosent recognize it. I need help either how to fix it and how to get the alcohol out of the screen. Thanks.
    also i left it in the rice for about a day and nothing happended.

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

leave it under a hot lamp for a few days, i've never heard to put electrical items in alcohol, I've heard the rice one but generally all electrical things you strip them down as much as you can and remove the battery (cant do either on an ipod) and then put them under a lamp for as long as possible on a towel

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Take it to Apple and get an out of warranty replacement for $99. The hot lamp is not a good idea. Also, it's really too late for rice.

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

why not? its a great way to dry out things

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Leave it somewhere warm for a week then try again.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Gunna take more than a day for the rice.....

DAYS.... and DAYS....

Back in and check it in a week. Quick drop=long fix

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I like your style.

I'd guess in case it's too hot.

Tbh I'd guess plugging it into the computer so soon was a bit of a kiss of death. Doubt it was fully dried out which means you could have short circuited something. Shove it back in the rice for a few weeks (well, at least one) and hope for the best. I'd kind of expect the worse though, what with plugging it in and the alcohol thing