Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuggawaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Hartford, CT
Hi,

I am a newbie here / first-time buyer of MBP and am planning to get a used, late-2013 Retina Macbook Pro from Craigslist with the following specs -

15" screen
Intel Core i7, Processor 2.3 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.5 GHz)
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD Flash Drive
Nvidia GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 Memory.

The device also has extended Apple Care (it has 2 more years left on it) which is a good thing. The seller claims the device is in excellent condition with no dents.

Do you think $2050 is a fair price to pay for it?

My plan is to use this MBP for another year and eventually upgrade to new rMBPs with Broadwell chips. If i hold on to it for 1 more year and sell it Q4 2015, how much would be a fair price to expect when selling (assuming its still in good condition)? Do you think this is a good approach since i need a powerful rMBP now and can't wait for another year?

Any tips would be helpful since this is my first MBP purchase and I may be missing something. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Tug.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
The same machine is available new from Adorama and B&H for $2200. I think you have to weigh in what sort of usage the MBP has had and - unfortunately - the inherent risks in dealing with someone via Craigslist.

I'd say $2050 is fair ... $2000 would be better.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I think $1800-1900 is more accurate - I guess maybe $2000 because it has the AppleCare.

Sells for about $1850 on Amazon - for used 3rd party sellers.

Take away shipping cost and Amazon fee - that should be the price that it is worth of CL - plus some for the AppleCare.

tuggawaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Hartford, CT
The same machine is available new from Adorama and B&H for $2200. I think you have to weigh in what sort of usage the MBP has had and - unfortunately - the inherent risks in dealing with someone via Craigslist.

I'd say $2050 is fair ... $2000 would be better.

Appreciate the inputs. You are right, they are available for $2200. But when I factor in taxes and cost of apple care, there is > $500 gap which made me explore craigslist option.

Of course, there is inherent risk as you mentioned but I've found few helpful articles here and online on how to test a used MBP before buying including hardware and software. That along with the fact that I have purchased few iPhones and iPads via Craigslist makes me feel comfortable with that option.

I'll check out the battery charge counts and try to negotiate below $2K.

Any thoughts on the resale value a year down the lane? Is it fair to expect not more than $500 of further depreciation? Will I be able to see it for $1500?
Thanks again.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Appreciate the inputs. You are right, they are available for $2200. But when I factor in taxes and cost of apple care, there is > $500 gap which made me explore craigslist option.

Of course, there is inherent risk as you mentioned but I've found few helpful articles here and online on how to test a used MBP before buying including hardware and software. That along with the fact that I have purchased few iPhones and iPads via Craigslist makes me feel comfortable with that option.

I'll check out the battery charge counts and try to negotiate below $2K.

Any thoughts on the resale value a year down the lane? Is it fair to expect not more than $500 of further depreciation? Will I be able to see it for $1500?
Thanks again.

Future values cannot be estimated due to us not knowing what Apple has planned. That being said, if it is just a minor spec upgrade I do not see an issue.

tuggawaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Hartford, CT
I think $1800-1900 is more accurate - I guess maybe $2000 because it has the AppleCare.

Sells for about $1850 on Amazon - for used 3rd party sellers.

Take away shipping cost and Amazon fee - that should be the price that it is worth of CL - plus some for the AppleCare.

Thanks Spink10, that makes sense. I'll end up paying just slightly less than $2000 for it. The one I'm looking at is in 'like new' condition (of course, I haven't seen it in person so am not sure) and will full 2 years of Apple Care (at $349), I think i'll pull the trigger on this late 2013 model. If i don't like it or if its not as described, I can always walk away and explore Amazon options.

But this is definitely helpful, thanks all of you.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks Spink10, that makes sense. I'll end up paying just slightly less than $2000 for it. The one I'm looking at is in 'like new' condition (of course, I haven't seen it in person so am not sure) and will full 2 years of Apple Care (at $349), I think i'll pull the trigger on this late 2013 model. If i don't like it or if its not as described, I can always walk away and explore Amazon options.

But this is definitely helpful, thanks all of you.

Great - if you ever buy AppleCare for Mac (different one then this) get it from B&H Video - think they charge $280

tuggawaugh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2014
Hartford, CT
Great - if you ever buy AppleCare for Mac (different one then this) get it from B&H Video - think they charge $280

Thanks for the tip, wasn't aware they sell Apple Care on discount.
Recently ordered a Fujifilm X-series camera from them.
I've had only great experience with them so far.

Just an update on this thread for future reference, I finally paid $1900 for this configuration along with extended Apple Care.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks for the tip, wasn't aware they sell Apple Care on discount.
Recently ordered a Fujifilm X-series camera from them.
I've had only great experience with them so far.

Just an update on this thread for future reference, I finally paid $1900 for this configuration along with extended Apple Care.

Sounds like a pretty good deal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.