Please help: Is this Illustrator performance normal on rImac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by melllvar, Dec 10, 2014.

1. melllvar macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm using a "maxed out" retina iMac 27". (i7, 295, 24gig).

I'm using the latest Adobe CC Suite and most programs run very poorly. I'm curious if theres something wrong with my specific system or if every rImac has those problems.

One example: In Illustrator I loaded up this very simple vector telephone symbol: http://www.flaticon.com/free-icon/phone-general_9243

I made a short quicktime recording to show what it looks like on my imac 5K:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/196798/imacperformance.mov

Is it that bad for everyone?

I already wiped the harddrive clean and made a fresh install without any backups etc. and the problem persists.

2. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

Judging by some of the videos I've seen of people with rMacs simply opening/closing/moving windows on the desktop then what you have is similar.

It would be easy to say it's the GPU but even though it's not ideal for the rMac it's not that bad.

Maybe see if you can download another vector program and see if it happens with the same file with a different program, at least then you will be able to see if Illustrator is the culprit.

3. spiritlevel, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014

spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Can you elaborate on exactly what the problem is? are you saying it takes to long to zoom each time?

I've got a maxed rImac and CC and illustrator seems to be the worst of the Adobe apps on it.

I find performance is improved considerably if you do a "Get Info" on the app and click the "Open in Low resolution" checkbox. This is also really useful if you are making web graphics in Photoshop.

Hoping a software update will improve retina CC performance soon...

4. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Do the CC apps use the GPU at all?

I've trialled Corells Aftershot Pro 2 which utilizes GPUs and I have to say everything was smooth and quick on my base RiMac. Appreciate it was photography and not vector graphics, but from what I saw it points to any jerkiness being down the software not making use of the hardware rather than a fault of the RiMac?