Please help! iTunes 10 Missing "Show Artwork" button in bottom left corner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 3282868, Feb 6, 2011.

1. 3282868, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011

3282868 macrumors 603

I posted this issue a while back but got no help, so the mods may delete this (sorry but I'm desperate, even Apple is baffled).

The fourth "Show Artwork" button on the bottom left hand corner is no longer available. I've tried everything: removing .plists in both User/System libraries, reinstalling iTunes 10, creating guest accounts, resetting everything including PVRAM (no relation I'm sure but desperate times); you name it I've done it. There are a few others out there with the same issue. Unfortunately I spent a week cleaning up all 5 drives on my Mac Pro, and reset my Time Machine from scratch so I can't revert unless the previous iTunes 10 is still out there.

Any help, any, heck I'll PAY YOU! lol :eek:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Have you tried running iTunes on another account?

4. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Exactly :) So odd. It's not a deal breaker, but sucks as I have spent so much time and money on applications to fine tune my 100+ GB library.

Yup, even called Apple and aside from a complete reinstall, nada. I removed all add-on's and plug-ins, I used MacPilot once but removed changes and the program before reinstalling iTunes.

Thanks guys, really, the first thread had 150+ viewers but no posts. I try to help everyone if I can on MacRumors, and I know you didn't have to write, so I greatly appreciate it! :)

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Do you have any plug-ins in ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins or /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins ?

[Nevermind---just saw your new post]

So if you create a new account and start iTunes, the button is missing?

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's a good distinction. Good thought.

Your only option may be to backup your media and apps and reinstall. I wouldn't use a Time Machine backup as it may reintroduce your issue.

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

Is it possible that you have a corrupted, modified or incomplete iTunes app?

Please open Terminal in Utilities and enter

Code:
    codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/
    You should get

Code:
    /Applications/iTunes.app/: valid on disk
    /Applications/iTunes.app/: satisfies its Designated Requirement
    Do you?

8. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Plus I just deleted my Time Machine SATA drive in my Mac Pro as I completely overhauled/cleaned out my five drives including my SSD (a lot of junk over the years). I then upgraded to the new 10.x.x iTunes for CDMA iPhone support (which I don't need), configured Time Machine, went to bed as it did its thing, used iTunes (hadn't checked it out but the update seems to be the one factor I can thing of at this point) and noticed it was missing. There are a few threads about this on Apple's site.

Also tried guest accounts, which would appear an issue with general system files in the main drive, such as /Library/~

I'd hate to reinstall 10.6.6 due to a small thing such as this. So weird.

Oh, and yeah, I subscribed for email notifications on my other thread and nada. Oh well.

Thanks again everyone!

Ok, did it, and here's what I got:

/Applications/iTunes.app/: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/CandyBar.plist: resource added
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes(OLD).icns: resource added
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes(OLD).rsrc: resource added
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes.icns.candybarbackup: resource added
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes.icns: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunes.rsrc: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesASUHelper: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper: resource modified

That is odd. I did change the iTunes icon and left hand side colors, but it didn't effect the previous version, plus I didn't do this again, everything is stock. I shut down iTunes and reopened it, still nothing. I'm gonna use CleanMyMac for another complete uninstall, reboot, and reinstall.

Thanks man, you just taught me a new Terminal command/trick! You rock!

9. QuarterSwede, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Something you could try before wiping everything and starting over is just to install Snow Leopard over the current install. It shouldn't disturb any other files. Of course, I'd make a backup just in case.

It sounds to me like the mod you did didn't bork it until iTunes was updated and something was changed by Apple which doesn't jive with the mod. Why it doesn't get fixed with a reinstall is beyond me.

10. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

An Apple tech I spoke with noted there are four hidden files I learned about in /Users/Shared/SC Info (hidden folder)/SC Info.sidb, .sidd, .sidl and .sidr (as a former long time ago "genius" I was surprised I didn't know). The tech said certain mods get "backed up" like a .plist file and a re-install may not make a difference if they're modified. I'm gonna move them out of there, uninstall, reboot, reinstall and cross my fingers.

Here goes nothing...

Thanks again everyone! Have a great Superbowl Sunday.

11. LPZ macrumors 65816

OK, your iTunes has been modified by CandyBar and by who know what else. You should start my trashing your iTunes app and downloading a clean one. Then run the codesign command again and make sure you get what I posted. Then try opening the new iTunes. If the problem persists, quit iTunes, trash all iTunes-related .plist files and reopen iTunes.

12. LPZ macrumors 65816

It's not clear to me that a reinstall was done. Perhaps a software update was done, but the iTunes update only modified/patched the existing installation (which had already been borked by CandyBar). A complete reinstall of a clean iTunes app should fix the problem (as you suspect too).

13. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Yahoo! So I reinstalled, and nada, but I tried it by deleting the folder with the four hidden files, and everything is exactly where it should be. Thankfully I kept all my .plists so nothing else needs to be done, everything is 100%!

All of you, thank you so much! Send me your PayPal accounts, I'll send cash! lol :D