Please help: Java trying to access computer from my website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by AeroUK, Apr 4, 2012.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I use wordpress to host my site www.aaronshort.com

Recently when I load the site I have a Java applet to access my computer while on the main page. I have attached a screen grab. If someone could help me I would really appreciate it.

Best

Aaron

Attached Files:

2. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Did you install the latest Java patch in Software Update this week?

I was just reading this article about the java exploit in Ars, you might want to take a look at it:
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/04/flashback-trojan-reportedly-controls-half-a-million-macs-and-counting.ars?comments=1&start=0#comments-bar

3. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

It is not that, I think it is a virus in my site but I have no idea what to do!

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Do you not have a local copy somewhere? Delete it from the host and re-upload your local copy.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a virus, since there are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild. It's simply a website requesting access to your computer. Just click "Deny". That's all you need to do.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

While true, the OP is saying that he didn't install this applet into his website, which means his site was possibly hacked and someone else put this applet in there. He wants to know what happened to his site and how to fix it.

That's what it sounds like he is saying to me anyway.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It appears to be something from WordPress, not a hacker.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right, and that's what the OP is inquiring about. OP owns the website from Wordpress and did not install this applet into his website. A Google search of the Java applet shows a Brazilian website as it's source. OP wants to know how to get this applet out of his website.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you go to the site and click View > View Source you can see the HTML for the site. Also, you can right-click on any item and select "Inspect Element" to learn more.

10. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Sandbox General, that is exactly right.

My site is hosted on Bluehost and is a WordPress site so I cannot scan the files offline.

The applet can be ignored on a PC with IE but my Mac asks to accept the applet every time. I just need to find out how to stop this happening. Does anyone know?

Best

Aaron

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You're going to have to look over your code for the malicious code that doesn't belong and remove it.

Also, make sure you're using a strong password for administrative access, and change it right away, regardless. If anyone has delegated authority to the site, make sure you have them change their passwords and make them strong.

Then make sure you have any software you're using with Wordpress is fully up-to-date.

12. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Hi AeroUK,

I hope your problem is resolved now. I just read the following on MacWorld, --remembered your post and thought you might be interested:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166255/security_experts_600_000_plus_estimate_of_mac_botnet_likely_on_target.html

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can access the files through FTP.

I am guessing you have a weak password and they brute forced it.

By the way saying this is wrong "I use wordpress to host my site" when you are "Using self-hosted wordpress"

14. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

OK so should I change my password and then try to get my files downloaded and scanned from the FTP server?

I have not had the problem for the past few days...