please help.. join .mov files

tm0000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to join .mov files so I can burn a dvd of them. Toast titanium will not let me add more than 99 clips to the dvd. So, if I join the files, then I can burn a dvd of all the footage and not waste more than half of the dvd.

I can't seem to find software that will let me join the .mov files without losing quality. I tried using iMovie and quicktime, but I was losing quality with both of those. The size of the new joined file is smaller than the originals. Mpeg streamclip looked weird on my screen (rMBP 2014).. I could only see half of the program?

I would really appreciate some help, please. Is there any other software I can use to burn the dvd that will allow me to join more than 99 files?

Thanks in advance!

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
if you're burning a video-dvd, toast is already recompressing your files, so there will be quality loss. if you are just burning a data-dvd, you can use finder.

what format (resolution/codecs) are your .mov files in ? afaik, joining files without recompressing them is only possible with certain codecs.

Last edited:

Unami

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
and what are you trying to do - make a video-dvd for playback on an old-school dvd-player or archive the videos and view them on a computer/mediaplayer/ps3...?

for the old-school dvd route, your video will be reduced to a quarter of it's resolution, as video-dvds are in sd-resolution. just make one big movie in imovie/quicktime and burn/recompress using toast for this.

if you want to preserve your original videos, and just make a copy of them on a dvd media, drag and drop the clips on the empty dvd in finder and hit "burn" (the radioactive symbol next to the dvd). or use toast to burn a data-dvd (or whatever it is called there).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.