Please help: Just got a MacBook, need help on care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Leia1912, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Leia1912 macrumors member

Due to final issue with my iBook (which might hold the record as most repaired iBook ever), the extremely generous Apple people are giving me a new MacBook. It's supposed to get here next week.

I am now thinking about what I need for my new "baby." What are the best products to keep it looking good and to take best care of the hardware? If you unexpectedly received a new MacBook via some kind Mac fairy, what would you run out and buy for it? I have read about various sleeves and cases (Speck Clear, for example), but I'm not sure what's necessary and what is just plain hype.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I got a Tucano second skin. Excellent for carrying it in any bag, backpack or whatever.

I also have a microfibre cloth for cleaning the screen (and keyboard/handrest), just use it dry or ever so slightly dampened without any alcohol based cleaning products (or any cleaning products whatsoever, really, some condense from your breath is enough in 9 out of 10 times for cleaning the screen). Wash the microfibre cloth fairly often to get rid of dust and particles.

Visit IKEA, and get one of these (the large one is excellent for the MacBook, and the smaller one may be used for a mouse or - maybe even - a chopping board ;)), to put it on, when you use it on the sofa, in bed, your lap or other soft and/or uneven surfaces.

Calibrate the battery once or twice a month. [Learn more]

Get a sharp stick to poke those who poke your screen with their fingers (or even worse: nails).

Enjoy your new MacBook. :)

3. Helianthus macrumors member

4. mags631 Guest

This is a good question (and I'll watch for the answers as well). Back in my ThinkPad days, one IT tech person strongly advised me to carry the laptop with both hands (one on either side), to avoid causing undue stress on the frame... anyone ever hear this and does this apply to MacBook (Pros)?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Oh... forgot one important (after reading mags631 good two handed carrying advice, which I rarely need to follow, myself, because I have the Magasin under it most of the time ;)): When opening the screen, grab it at the center (more or less where where the iSight camera is) and lift the screen up. Do not, under any circumstances grab the screen on the side and bend it up, that warps the casing around the screen (ever so slightly) and will finally kill the connections to the screen.

6. robPOD macrumors 6502

I put some stickers on the hand rest (next to the trackpad) so that the stickers get dirty and my MB doesnt. The apple stickers that come with your Mb should be perfect.

7. Leia1912 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the tips!

Thank you all for the tips and a couple more questions for you:

What do you think of the Marware protector kit (has a *very* large handrest sticker and a cloth to put over the keys when the computer is closed) and the Speck See Through cover? (This is essentially a hard plastic snap-on skin that goes over the MB's shell.)

8. skwij macrumors 6502

The Speck's a good case; there's a knockoff on eBay right now, and in different colours here :D.

I have the inCase sleeve for mine, and also got one from eBay that I mainly use. I prefer its padding, actually, as it's memory foam, rather than just a dense foam.
    eBay Case. Just be sure to lay the top cover down, so as to not block the vent holes on your gorgeous, lovely new MB.

Oh, and congrats! You're going to love your MB (I know I love mine!)