Please help!!! Kernel Panic at Start up.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kanvas, Nov 7, 2010.

1. kanvas macrumors newbie

hello, i am in desperate need of help/advice.
    I'm getting a kernel panic at start up and the optical drive wont read
    the start up DVD. I can boot up windows via bootcamp and the machine runs fine. I'm not getting any red LED's on my risers, so i'm assuming its not a RAM issue. I have a Mac Pro 8-core (2008) stock, just added 10 gigs of RAM.
    Has anyone had the same problems? Any advice?

2. MacHamster68, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

kernel panics

are caused by various things

here a list and never eliminate anything before you are not 100%sure (like your ram , as its coincidentally started with kernel panics after you installed new ram i would start there , and only because windows runs doesn't mean conclude that your harddrive is fine, the only conclusion is that the windows partition is fine , and your macpro quad core ram you should look close at crucial website , because only because it fits in doesnt mean its working with a Mac , but might well work with the windows side of your mac

* Maximum Memory: 32768MB
    * Slots: 8 (4 banks of 2)
    * Standard Memory: 2048MB removable
    * USB Support: 2.x Compliant
    * Installed in pairs of modules.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?

A: DDR2 memory with support for DDR2 PC2-6400 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 32768MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: Yes.

Your system requires that you install memory in pairs.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

A: No.

Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

A: Yes.

Your system supports ECC. You can put non-ECC modules into an ECC system, but be sure not to mix ECC and non-ECC modules within a system. Install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

but as your optical drive isn't working i would just bring it to the next apple store yours is 2008 so you got still a year apple care left ...if you had been clever enough to buy it