PLEASE HELP - Kernel Panics after sleep!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MusicalDave10, Apr 20, 2010.

1. MusicalDave10 macrumors newbie

Hi, I really need help. I've found lots of documentation on this issue, but no satisfactory solutions. I have a 24" imac, just under a year old. No modifications or added memory.

For the last few months I've been having a lot of Kernel Panics (you need to restart black screens). I've only just worked out that they almost always occur after the mac has been dormant. For instance, I'll leave the machine on (and the black screen/sleep mode activates instantly), after twenty minutes I come back to the machine, it comes back to life, but within a minute or so it crashes. This seems to be the pattern, it very rarely crashes mid-use. Safari is also nearly always loaded?

Any help appreciated, it's disappointing to have so many problems with such a new machine. I'd be delighted to fix it, my friends keep remarking (PC users) "I thought you said macs NEVER crash!"

Thanks
    Dave

2. MusicalDave10 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MusicalDave10 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. NGL macrumors member

Sounds like something you should talk to Apple about.

A few ideas... is there any app that is running every time this happens? There are a few apps that get really tweaked out if the computer falls asleep while they're open.

Similarly, do you have any USB or firewire devices plugged in when the problem occurs? Certain devices can also react badly to a sleeping computer.

-Nick