Please help: Mac OSX Lion downgrade to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by t27media, May 23, 2013.

1. t27media macrumors newbie

My problem is not downgrading, I know how this is done.

When I downgrade snow leopard will no longer recognise my external HD. Is there a way of me downgrading without having to delete all the info on my HD?

I am running an older iMac with the functionality to handle Lion but it's slow and **** basically so I wanna go back to Snow Leopard.

It would be great if someone could help shed some light on this.

Thanks

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Mountain Lion is an option too, think you can run ML, think you have a late 2007 or later iMac, if that is the case ML should run on your system.

3. t27media thread starter macrumors newbie

What will this solve?

Yes its around 2007 but how will it run faster on a higher upgrade?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Can you explain this in greater detail? How will Snow Leopard "not recognise your external hard drive"? Do you mean it won't restore from the newer Time Machine backup?
    There are lots of threads and webpages on the subject of downgrading -- I'm sure they will encountered this issue.
    You may be able to install Snow Leopard and keep your data in place. The only downgrade I ever did was from 10.6.7 to 10.6.6 when the .7 upgrade had a major bug. IIRC, I just reinstalled the 10.6.3 OS from the disk.

I ran Lion on my 2006 iMac -- 2GHz C2D, 3Gb RAM -- and I didn't notice any reduction in speed compared to Snow Leopard.
    Perhaps it may be possible to fix the slowness without downgrading?

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

For a start you could max out RAM to 6 GB, ML should not be slower, you can also disable certain eye candy which might be a bit slow.

Not that expensive to try, $19,99, it is also better than Lion and has more features.
    I had to get used to it though, went from 10.5.8 directly to ML, some things are better in Leopard and SL.