Please Help! Macbook Crashed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nayan504, Jan 3, 2010.

1. nayan504 macrumors member

Hello...currently I use a first generation macbook from 2006 (black)

yesterday I was using the computer and it was working fine but suddenly it froze so I restarted by using the power button...when I turn it on the following occurs:

A Blank white screen for a few minutes and then a flashing folder with a question mark sign on it. After a few more minutes it just turns back off. I feel this is a hard drive issue or it cannot find the OS.

The worst part I do not have the warranty anymore, since it expired a few months ago.

Please Help! Thanks

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Reset your PRAM and SMC. Then reboot with the install DVD and use Disk Utility to check/repair your HD. You may need a new HD (they are less than $100 and a breeze to install).

3. ultraxiv macrumors newbie

If the SMC and PRAM resets don't help (as they likely won't), then bring it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Your computer, like many MacBooks from 2006 and 2007, may qualify for a free hard drive replacement; ask about it and have them check your serial number to see if your computer is eligible for a free repair.

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Sure does sound like a HD issue. Take it to Apple see what they say.

But if they offer to replace it and charge you, I'd refuse.

Like someone said you can get one yourself cheaper, and if you can make a sandwich you can replace the HD yourself :D