Please Help - Macbook Pro applecare replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gabeomatic, Feb 24, 2011.

1. gabeomatic, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

gabeomatic macrumors member

Ive have my 15 unibody 2.8 500gb since the end of 08 with 3yr applecare which ends in Nov 2011. I'm pretty good with computers but up until last year my computer has started acting up and at this point it is beginning to glitch up often enough to get in my way so I want to go ahead and try to replace it.

It has issues dealing with: constant beachballs(no reason at all), just in safari for example
    -sleep issues
    -screen flickering
    -loose hinge
    -battery is horrible now (after 2+ yrs i understand)
    -dvd burner acts up (used the drive less than 5x in the last 2 years haha)
    -overheats just from all my icons in dashboard (understandable) [this is a pro though so wtf]

one day last year i tried using photobooth and for some reason it will not detect any camera..
    And NOW it doesn't even recognize my external speakers! (but headphones and anything through the plug works) (I tried a pram reset, as well as blowing some air in the hole (red light) because it seems to think something is plugged in.. all the time. No go.

I paid 2499 for this comp + tax + applecare +hd upgrade which cost me over 3k, and believe it or not this comp is still in immaculate condition, its my baby. Still have the box and everything.

My question is, would it be too much to dream and somehow get a new replacement pro with the i7? If so, what should I try and say? I'm extremely knowledgable with computers and this pro is starting to get beachballs for no reason, its driving me crazy. Am I way in over my head? I bought the top of the line version to have it last me, and want this to get taken care of. Plus, that 6750M is looking amazing for bootcamp gaming.....Drools*

Thanks in advance guys

2. fupresti macrumors regular

The fact that you are looking for advice on what to say to get them to give you a brand new one versus just taking it in for them to fix the issues says everything.

3. liljoker7921 macrumors newbie

Call Applecare

I am currently experiencing several issues with my MBP 17 Mid 2009, I have dealt with Apple and have been dealing with multiple problems from them. I received my Pro back from the service center all dinged up, along with the Genius Bar seeing me twice and to no avail have they been able to fix the missing Airport Card error. So for advice from me to you is to call Apple or see your Genius Bar and start from there don't jump to conclusions expecting them to give you a NEW MAC or replace the one you currently have, its not an overnight process but give Apple time and they will meet the expectations as for me I am going in tomorrow to get my Pro replaced as my machine seems as a lemon with the amount of money they have invested into it and its still not performing properly.

4. gabeomatic thread starter macrumors member

It just because i heard you need to have multiple replacements(3) beforehand, my pro has more than 3 things wrong with it though so I hope this will work.

5. wpotere Guest

Wow... How about grow up and buy the new computer rather than try to figure a way to steal one (yes, you are trying to steal). Yours is fine and just because you had a few issues does not mean that it is a lemon (which is why they swap them). My white MB has had three cases, but I sure as heck didn't ask for a new computer.... :rolleyes:

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The 3 things wrong rule? ... example they replace the logic board twice and a screen ... the 3rd time the logic board goes, they might replace the machine instead of putting another $600 into it.

usually the rule is 3 major issues where they get tired of dumping money into it.

7. gabeomatic thread starter macrumors member

Why on earth would I buy a new computer, not everyone on earth has money to throw around, and that is the WHOLE point of applecare if you didn't know. It's not STEALING if I have multiple problems with my current one, and apple approves of it. Thats how warranties work by the way, so stop trolling unless you actually have something beneficial to say. I know multiple people had success with this, so thank you to whoever actually tried to help me out.

8. lysdexik macrumors newbie

ILL-E-GAL

If apple decided to offer you a new one on their own behalf, that is fine. You trying to use other people's experience to exploit the company and benefit yourself is fraud my friend.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Really?

There is no amount of trickery on EARTH other than outright hacking the repair database to show fraudlent repairs that will allow OP to "exploit" the company. You really think he can go in without a legitimate case and walk out with a brand new machine? All one can do is oppease the representative on the other side to agree in their favor.

Why shouldn't OP demand a working computer. Have you not seen the other threads on this board? People are receiving replacements then bringing *those* machines back to get the latest model.

Anyway, OP, it's not enough to have three things wrong with the machine. It'll need to be separate repair trips/incidents. Bringing in the machine with a slew of issues will only count as one repair.

10. FYDave macrumors member

I have to disagree. I don't see it as fraud. You buy AppleCare to make sure that your device is taken care of for a good long while after the original date of purchase.

There comes a point where in a cost benefit analysis of his repair history when it no longer makes sense for Apple to continuously repair individual parts if they seem to be crapping the bed shortly thereafter. At that point, either Apple can offer the customer a replacement or the customer can request one.

I see no reason how requesting a replacement is, in any interpretation, illegal. It doesn't mean he will receive a laptop nor does it mean that he's somehow taking something that the situation doesn't warrant.

That AppleCare warranty does cover things up to and including things such as replacement devices.

It's also unreasonable, from the perspective of doing good business, to expect any customer to be semi-regularly without guaranteed access to a device at no fault of their own that they both paid for and insured with a warranty.

11. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

... and that would be what exactly? What an apple freak.

12. cloakedpegasus macrumors member

You and some of the other posters above exhibit a behavior that I've only seen in religious freaks. Give it a rest, we know you want to give them your life.

13. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I see two issues here:

First, trying to get a replacement, is one warranted, maybe, maybe not.

Second, trying to get the latest model as a replacement, this I think is asking a little much.

It's one thing to try and get a replacement if you are having legitimate problems but remember its at Apple's discretion, not yours, what they do, fix it or replace it. I don't quite know what to call trying to get the latest model as a replacement, greedy or just wrong? Why on earth would you feel that you are entitled to the latest model when its not what you bought in the first place, in fact its more then what you bought in the first place? I've read a few threads where Apple does the incredible thing of replacing a mac book pro for someone who comes in with one that is out of Apple care, so not even covered, and they replace it. Then I read threads like this where people just want to take take take from Apple.

14. HBOC macrumors 68020

there is some info you haven't disclosed, such as how many repairs have you had, or what they are, etc.

Here are a few threads I made in the last 2 days... Will I get a replacement from Apple and
    I GOTS A NEW ONE

A few things I have personal experience with. My MBP had problems from the beginning. Within one month, it had the logicboard go out, but went almost 2 years with out incident. I NEVER turn off my computer or put it to "sleep". Mine runs ALL THE TIME, so it really was a work horse.

In October it started to act up, and in December I sent it in. Logicboard once again, as well as getting a screen replaced, and they replaced the keyboard twice in 6 months (the caps button would flicker green). I took it in today, because it was having the same problems..logicboard taking a shiest.

When I asked the genius there (he had helped me several times, way cool cat) if they offer replacements, he said yes. I FLAT OUT asked him if I could get a new one. I had all my repair paperwork, although they have all that info. He said that in my case, i didn't fall within their replacement guidelines (perhaps 3 LB replacements? i dunno?), but that he would do it for me.

I think what really was the deciding factor was the time i was without the computer. They realize that some people NEED their computers and not everyone has a backup computer suffice for what they do. That said, the amount of time I was without my computer i think is what got me a BRAND NEW QUAD i7! (sorry, still so stoked..like a kid on XMAS). I was w/o it for 2 1/2 weeks in December, 3 days in June and a week the first time I sent it in. Significant time. Plus he probably felt bad.

YOU CANNOT NITPICK! Superficial cosmetic things they WON'T replace. I had dead pixels on my screen, they wouldn't fix it. It was only until I had pressure marks on my screen, and even then they made an exception.

Sorry to break it to you, but they aren't going to give you a new one (but you could get lucky). I mean they JUST did $1300 in repairs on my early 08' Penryn...If they spent that kind of cash on my old one to fix..

15. gabeomatic thread starter macrumors member

It just sucks to see that I paid 3000 for mine with taxes and the new one is only valued at 2100

16. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I will respond directly to your issues instead of making statements about if this is legitimate or not. I would do the same thing as the OP would do, and I've done similar before. You pay a premium for these macs so they better work...

The late 2008 MacBook Pro Models were extremely issue prone. I used to own your same model and I have had all and if not more of the issues you list. The flickering is an effect of using the faulty 9400M Graphics card on the Mobo and Apple never acknowledged this issue. You can fix this buy switching to the 9600GT gfx. The Battery on these models suck. They are just small and bad. These also overheat regardless of what you do. Casual surfing on Safari brought my 2.8GHZ Late 08 to SCORCHING temperatures. Mine was in bad condition as I purchased it used for 600$ and nursed it back to health. Eventually mine started to die, and the screen cracked. One thing you should notice with your computer is that the hinges are VERY loose and almost useless. I hope this helps and if you want more stories from a previous Late 2008 2.8GHZ MBP owner let me know.

17. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Of course when you buy anything you expect it to work, no matter how much you paid for it, however does that mean if it doesn't work as well as it should, that you are entitled to a brand new or newer model replacement? Or that you should take it into have it fixed?

18. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

You have AppleCare; use it.

Replacements happen for folks with many issues over a period of time. If you let them stack up without requesting repair, you have no record and are not going to be a candidate for a replacement.

19. wpotere Guest

I'm not trolling, you are. Apple Care is there to fix your current computer not replace it with a newer model. That is a choice that Apple makes if a person needs it. You coming asking how you can exploit that is, in fact, stealing as you are trying to "work" the system. It is no different than running a con to get money out of people. If your current system is working with no problems then be happy with what you have. If you want a new model then go buy it. If you have a problem with your current system then take it in and let them fix it and for the record, that is not how warranties work. As I said, a warranty is there to fix your current machine, not give you a new one. Perhaps you should actually read your warranty...

Welcome to the real world, just wait until you buy your first car. 30K and the second you sit your butt in it and drive it off the lot it is only worth about 25K. Try getting a new one of those using a warranty!

20. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

I think that it should be taken in for being fixed, and if it is past the three fixing threshold you should be entitled to a new model working (equal monetary value) computer.

21. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

But do you agree that this should be at apples discretion? Its not up to the customer to decide when their computer should be replaced and with what.