Please Help, MacBook Pro Dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Great Boony, Dec 23, 2011.

1. The Great Boony macrumors regular

Hi all

Just arrived home and started my MacBook Pro, I can hear the HD start, but no 'bong' when pressing the start button, and the screen doesn't light up.

Don't know what to do, I hope I havnt lost everything, not backed up for 6 months :(

Help!? :(

----------

Its a 2008 MacBook pro 15" if that helps.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Hold down option+command+P+R at boot until you hear chime for the second time. If you don't get a chime it's prolly dead logic board. Genius bar Appt at apple store time at that point to tell for sure.

Non-unibody went into early 2008, is it a non or a unibody? Non may have the dreaded Nvidia chip logic board, in which case Apple may replace it free. I just got one back from them that was a free $900 repair. 4 years from date of purchase is the coverage if so. Mine was sold Feb 8, 2008 and meets the description of the one in your sig line (2.4 C2D)

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

You're sure it's the hard drive and not the fan? Does the caps lock light come on? After waiting a few minutes for the machine to boot, if you press the F12 key to turn the volume up, does it make the usual "pop" sound?

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

unibody or pre-unibody?

I'm 90% sure that it's a broken GPU, read this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

5. The Great Boony thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I'd update on this...

I went to the Apple Store in Brighton on Christmas Eve to speak to the Genius Bar, and they confirmed that the Logic board had died..

We looked at the graphics card issue and this was ruled out, so the girl went to see if they had a replacement for my logic board in stock..

She came back and told me that they did have one in stock and asked if I wanted it repaired, I was slightly apprehensive as I didn't want to pay $700 when I'll be upgrading the machine next year, seeing my hesitation she said "We'll change it for free you know" - At which point I was delighted.

She then asked if I live locally, I said about 30 mins drive, so she suggested that i go and get some lunch or a coffee and she'll call when ready!!

Yep, that right, she repaired it for me there and then between other appointments!

Just over a hour later and it was done, I bought a box of chocolates as a thank you... And also picked myself up a Time Capsule with some of the money I saved... Don't want the upset of thinking my Photos/Data are lost again

Sooooo Impressed with Apple, I'll be writing them a letter praising the individual.

TGB