Please, help! (MacBook Shutting Down)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Poesis, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Poesis macrumors newbie

I own a black macbook OS X 10.4.11 and since last week it's been starting to turn off by itself every time I watch a video of any source (whether it's streamed or playing in quiktime) I've done my research and I found in different forums about this issue, some people say it's the logic board and some people say it's not, then I found out Apple released a SMC Update that fixes this problem, but when I try to install that update I get this message saying that my computer doesn't need this update but the problem is still there, I don't know what to do, I don't live in the US so I can't take my macbook to an apple store, can you people help me and tell me if this is a hardware problem or software wise ? I don't know if this is the right forum, I am new in this board. Thanks a lot in advance.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, the ways of testing to see if it's a software problem...

1) Create a new user account and see if the same crash happens in that account (generally a very strong indicator).

2) Reformat the drive and re-install OS X and see what happens (the best indicator but kind of a pain).

And for hardware...

1) Run the Apple Hardware Test off the install DVD.

3. Poesis thread starter macrumors newbie

I reformated the drive and still happens, I'm gonna try the hardware test now

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you reformatted the hard drive and it's still crashing, it needs to go back to Apple, however it is that that gets done wherever it is you are. Sorry.

5. Poesis thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the test and I got this error: 4M0T/1/40000002:Exhaust I googled it and I couldn't find anything about it, I think the problem is that my mac gets overheated because when I watch a video or when I tried to run the test it crashes, I had to press the power button for 5 seconds (what ever does that?) and I could ran the test completely, I'm really sad, I thought Macs weren't supposed to crash, I'll try to find a retail near me and see what can be done.
    Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciated.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Computers from EVERY manufacturer occasionally go bad. It's a fact of life. Sorry it happened to you. Get it fixed now, so you can get on with your Mac-ing. :)