Please HELP! - MacBookPro 'bricked'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CXsjr, May 12, 2011.

1. CXsjr macrumors regular

CXsjr

Folks,

My MBP has been playing up recently, running slow, beach balling when it never used to, etc ,etc. I repaired permissions but to no avail.

So I decided to do a clean install. Inserted my Mac OS X Leopard disk (first mistake since I realised I should've used the disks that came with the MBP .... doh!). I was then going to use my upgrade disk to Snow Leopard.

I keyed in my password when asked to do so and OS asked me to press Ok as the system would then restart.

All that has since happened is (1) the start up chime, (2) a bit of disk whirring, (3) a black screen then then back to (1) again, over and over and over again.

Can anyone please help - I really don't want to have to shell out for a new MBP!

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

PS: model is a late 2008 2.53 C2D (first model in the current design).

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you boot from the disc? Hold down "Option" on startup and see if you can get to the partition selection screen.

It's like that your hard drive is dying and needs to be replaced. You can do it yourself for around $100... or however much you feel like spending on a new hard drive.

3. CXsjr thread starter macrumors regular

CXsjr

Simple when you know how - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Held down the option key, booted to Mac HD, ejected incorrect disk - will start again with a fresh head in the morning .... thank you again!!!

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Easy mistake fella i did it on my first wipe i did many years ago!

Glad you got it working

5. SideStepSociety, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011

SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

You'll need to use the discs that came with your Mac or your Snow Leopard Upgrade disc, format the drive with Disk Utility, and then you can use your SL Upgrade disc to to perform a full clean install, without install Leopard first.

EDIT: Doh! Too slow! Good to hear you got it going! :)

6. CXsjr thread starter macrumors regular

CXsjr

No, not too slow, I was totally unaware you could do a clean install using the SL upgrade disk .... so thank you to you too!

7. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety