Please help. MBP will not boot up!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdwsta4, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

last night i was doing normal things on my laptop; browsing the internet, checking mail, listening to music. all of a sudden, my screen froze up with lines across it. i let it sit for a minute to see if it'd unfreeze, but it didn't. i held the power button to shut it down. when i tried to reboot it, this error message popped up telling me i need to restart my computer.

[​IMG]

i restarted it. same message.
    shutdown. same message.
    tried resetting the PRAM. same message.
    tried some trick with removing the battery. same message.

so WTF is wrong? please tell me my computer isn't fubar'd. it's not even two years old. my ibook lasted me for nearly 5!

2. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

Try this

1. Boot from a CD with OSX on use the Disk App tools to repair the HDD.
    2. Power on while holding down the Command + C keys until after the Apple logo disappears.

There may be some other things you can do. Use another computer to Google it.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

4. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not under Apple Care, but if they replace it free of charge for up to 3 years, I should be covered regardless, correct?

Software updater did prompt me to install a handful of updates over the weekend (itunes, safari, osx).

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yes it will be covered, as long as it is one of the ones outlined in that article.

if you are canadian i can open you a case to deal with it, other wise call your local apple store or feel free to call apple directly at 1-800-263-3394.

6. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

i'm in the states.
    another friend suggested i try turning it on while holding command+v. a slew of information came up on the screen. i'm by no means computer literate so i'm not sure what i should be looking for. however, here are some things that stood out (to me at least):

framework successfully initialized
    AppleTyMCEDriver::probe(MacbookPro3,1)
    AppleTyMCEDriver::probe fails
    GFX0: family specific matching fails
    oring failed on "/var/spool/postfix": No such file or directory
    localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master): Failed to count the number of files in "/var/spool/postfix/maildrop": No such file or directory

those mean anything? the last one was listed a number of times

7. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple said it'll be covered under warranty!! definitely relieved. have to go back tomorrow with my external HD to back up my last few weeks of data. they said they should have it fixed in 4 days.