Please help me build Hackint0sh (Parts)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by upaymeifixit, Aug 6, 2010.

1. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Before everyone starts flaming me for posting this, I apologize, but I figure you guys would know the most about this. I’m about to spend all my money on a mackintosh. I would really appreciate it if someone would confirm that this will work. I would also love if anyone would recommend any other parts. I already have a case. Here are the parts:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775
    Processor: Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz 12MB L2 / LGA 775
    RAM: Patriot 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB 32MB Cache 3.0Gbps
    Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB DDR3 PCI Express (Is this similar to what the Mac Mini has?)
    Power: hec HP485D 485W ATX12V

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Take a look at InsanelyMac for Hackintoshes. I wouldn't buy what you're buying as it's old tech

Mobo
    CPU
    RAM
    GPU
    PSU

I'm not sure do those work with OS X but performance wise, they are better than what you listed. Something similar will work and I would get that CPU at least, GPU and mobo you can change if they aren't compatible (check InsanelyMac)

3. codymac macrumors 6502

I have that board and CPU and it's a great combination but... what he said.

I've also got an i7 930 with a GA-X58A-UD3R and it's a bit faster in normal use (and ridiculously faster when overclocked). You can do the i7 for around the same money and have a better machine in the long run. The Q9650 is still pretty expensive.

Google for the "Stellarola" package if you go with the Q9650 with the EP45.

4. gaspra macrumors member

For the parts listed, use the lifehacker snow leopard guide. Shouldn't take you more than 20mins to figure out;).

5. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

That guide is actually where I got all those parts from, but now I'm starting to think that is old hardware. Especially when Hellhammer just suggested a setup for the same price, that is faster.

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

How would the OP's and Hellhammer's combinations compare in performance?

How much are these computers if you build them yourself?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i5 is better but not significantly. However, it's a lot cheaper and should OC pretty well

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2832/1

According to this, GTX 460 is about twice as fast as 9800GTX+ is. Also the one I linked uses DDR3 which is faster.

If you need everything from case to PSU, I'd say you're looking at ~800$ if you buy what I linked.

8. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It looks like they both come out to about $775 USD.

The newer one uses DDR3 RAM, a 768MB GDDR5 GPU, and an i5 8MB L3 Cache CPU, instead of DDR2 RAM, a 512MB DDR3 GPU, and a Core 2 12MB L2 Cache CPU. As mentioned before It's also newer technology, which I think should make up for the lack of 0.34GHz clock for the CPU.

Oh, apparently Hellhammer beat me to it. I am planning on OC'ing the CPU.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=50

Take a look at that as well, iBoot seems to be the easiest method nowadays. There are recommended builds. GTX 460 seems to work somehow but I recommend you to take a deeper look at it before buying. Anyway, ask from them, not me. I know nothing about hacks so if you want GOOD advice, ask from the masters i.e. Tonyx86 and InsanelyMac

10. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Thanks, I will defiantly ask there as well.

11. gaspra macrumors member

Sometimes you can even install SL on computers not discussed anywhere. I installed SL on my thinkstation s20, it works great, FX1800 and onboard NIC work too. It needs dsdt patch though.

12. no3tic888 macrumors member

13. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I'm actually going to change my motherboard to the one Hellhammer recommended, and the graphics card to an EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX260. I've been told on the tonymacx86 forums that both work.

Thanks. It does seem like fun.

14. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I plan on doing this soon.

I've been trying to stick with just my MB Pro, speed is not an issue but not being able to game is :)

I might as well build a solid hack and use it as both my Mac/PC replacement.

I was just reading through some threads to find out what I can do to build the most stable setup I can.

15. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Google TonyMac.
    He has a build that covers the new macpro quadcore.

16. Cboss macrumors 6502

I'm not an expert at this, but I just happened to throw together a potential build a few days ago that is fairly similar to what you're looking at.

Here it is if you want. I based it off recommendations from InsanleyMac.