Please help me, can I still activate an iOS 4.0.1 iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thegodmachine, Aug 11, 2010.

1. thegodmachine macrumors newbie

So my iPhone 4 Speakerphone died within three weeks of purchasing. I enjoyed a week and a half of jailbroken bliss. I am receiving my replacement tomorrow but will I have to upgrade to 4.0.2 before I can activate the new phone? If so is there any way around this? Obviously I do not have blobs/shsh whatever they are being called, on record at cydia, because this is going to be a new phone to me. If I cannot get around this, I think I may want to keep my jailbroken (speakerphoneless) iPhone 4 over a 4.0.2 iPhone with no known jailbreak timeframe . . . . yes the speaker is needed for virtually all activities, but an unjailbroken iPhone is like a ferrari with plastic wheels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can activate it. I think the replacements still have 4.0 on them. My replacement had 4.0

3. thegodmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am fairly sure it will still have 4.0.1 on it, but I thought I recalled iTunes not allowing you to "activate" a new phone with an "old" OS. ie it would FORCE an upgrade to 4.0.2 before I would have the opportunity to activate and "jailbreakme.com" it.

Please oh please tell me I am wrong, because I just about had a heart attack when the phone didn't arrive this morning and then heard about 4.0.2.

Thank you for your thoughts, they are appreciated.

4. smacman macrumors 6502

You are wrong. The phone will activate. What you can NOT do however is restore to 4.0 / 4.01.

5. thegodmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

I have never been so glad to be wrong!! Thank you very much for your help.

6. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

my wife is getting an ip4.. however the delivery is 4-5 weeks (we didnt get that many here in Sweden) :cool:
    the probability of iOS 4.0/4.0.1 is not very good is it??

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Likely not.

8. thegodmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

I would agree with dhlizard, 4-5 weeks is almost definitely going to be iOS 4.0.2, as iPhone 4 inventory is running very low right now.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

By that time, 4.1 will be ready to drop and then the hunt for new jailbreak starts all over again (unless DevTeam has an ace in the hole already)

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Which they do. They had a vote for which jailbreak to use for 4.0 and they went with comex's. They've also hinted they have other safari exploits...

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I remember them saying they had 3 unlock choices, but missed the jailbreak info.

That's good, hopefully it won't be a long wait for new tools for 4.1
    It would be nice to get our iPhone 4 iDevices onto the pwned jailbreak train. :)

12. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

You definitely can activate an iPhone on 4.0.1 if that's what it comes with when you get it. I got a replacement shortly after 4.0.1 came out and it had 4.0 still on it and I activated it with no problem. Just had to save 4.0.1 blobs as the signing window for 4.0 had closed.

13. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a