Please help me. cannot resize TM partition to create new one!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Dec 28, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

I need to move lots of data over to my windows partition from my leopard partition. I have a 320gb external with about 100gb of TM backups on it. Can I create a new FAT32 partition to move the files across without losing my TM data? I'm scared to do it.

EDIT: Ok, I just am not able to resize the partition. when I select the external drive in disk utility, all the options go grey, and I cannot drag the partition map to resize it. what is going on??? i can't figure out how to transfer my data without doing this and it's extremely important. aghhh!

please help me if you have some idea what's going on.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, you can - just make sure that you don't change the volume name of the TM partition and you'll be fine - I did it myself recently.

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, really? can somebody kind of walk me through it? i'm new to macs and never partitioned anything before (on a mac).

4. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I'm having the same problem. Made another parition but it doesn't give me an option to make it Fat32. I can only make it HFS+ or Free Space (whatever the point of that is).

I would like somebody to gives some steps too!

The Stig

5. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, i can't figure this out, it just won't let me partition at all... i can't drag the little picture to resize. what do i do?