Please help me choose an external monitor...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ehduque7, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ehduque7 macrumors member

Hi Everyone, I'm shopping around for an external display for my MacBook. The main reason I am getting an external is because I need the extra space when working with XCode and Interface Builder. Outisde of working on development stuff I use my Macbook for the basics (web browsing, Microsoft Office, Email, etc) and also some light Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator and some Video Editing (as a hobby).

I've set a budget of no more than $350 and ideally would like to buy it from a store so its easier to return if necessary. I also want at least a 22" monitor. I think I've come down to the following two:
    1) LG L227WTG-PF
    2) Samsung T220

Any opinon on these? Any other suggestions? Should I just cough up the extra $100-$150 to get a 24"?

Thanks!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd recommend the samsung, since the design looks cooler and you have 20k:1 dynamic contrast.

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Were I you, I'd consider shifting gears, here. You've picked out 22" monitors. Everything I've seen shows that 22" monitors are pretty much exclusively TN panels, and they don't offer any gains over 20" monitors. As it's possible to get a decent 20" P-VA panel - same resolution as 22" - for around $200, I'd suggest you look for one of those instead. Why do you want a PVA panel instead of a TN panel? Well, for one, color accuracy is likely to be better on a PVA panel. It'll at least be an 8-bit panel, and thus won't be dithering like a 6-bit panel. After all, you do intend to do use Photoshop and do some video editing. I don't know if you're always going to stare at the monitor head on, but if you're not, some color shift might be evident with a TN panel. To be avoided, if possible.

I realize you want at least a 22" monitor, but I'd urge you to step it up to a 24" if you really need size that badly. After all, if 22" isn't going to lend you more pixels than 20", I fail to see the utility of it. That said, I edit video, photos, and so forth and I'm sitting in front of a 26" H-IPS panel and a 20" IPS panel. The better panels do make a difference, and I needed the color accuracy for my work.

As always, take advice with a grain of salt, but I think you're best off with a 20" or 24". 22" is essentially a worthless size, and TN panels are not worth the money you pay for them. Sure, they're cheap, but why bother if you'll just want to upgrade again soon?

4. ehduque7 thread starter macrumors member

Hi Everyone, thanks for the advice...I really appreciate it. I would love to have an IPS monitor but I really don't think it is in my budget right now. In the end, I think I use my computer more for XCode/IB and everyday tasks than I do for Photoshop and Video Editing.

I went to Best Buy to check out some monitors and ALMOST bought an open box 23" Apple Cinema Display for $599! Great price, but still way outside my budget and I can't justify the extra cost considering I am currently engaged and trying to save for the wedding. :)

I did end up walking out with a great deal though...the LG w2600h-pf, a 26" monitor. The best part is that this monitor was on clearance (brand new) for $305! Even better than that...they still took my 10% off coupon. So this brand new 26" LG monitor only cost me $302.39 after tax and disposal fee. I couldn't pass it up...especially since this monitor is still going for $500-$550 online at Amazon, Newegg, etc.

Thanks again everyone for your help! I'll post a review up here once I get the cables I need and everything up and running.

5. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Wow, I would definitely have picked up that ACD, that's an amazing price if the monitor was in good condition.

6. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Glad to see you opted for the larger size. I don't blame you for not being able to afford an IPS (which is why I suggested a PVA panel), but 22" is a losing proposition. If people stopped buying them, manufacturers would make better monitors in other sizes instead, but I guess that's not likely to happen anytime soon.